Does anyone have a FreedomPop Sim Card? Any good?

I'm looking to change my OH's phone to a sim only deal. It's a contract phone but the contract has now expired, and I'm getting it unlocked by the network (EE).

She doesn't particularly use all the features on it, and really only uses it to make the odd phone call and send text messages.

I've seen this on line. Just wondered if anyone has one, and got any insight into who they are, good or bad?

Why not PAYG or something like Giff Gaff.

10 quid credit might last her a few months?

Are there any deals left where you can leave credit on and it stays there ? They all seem to expire after a month.

Why not PAYG or something like Giff Gaff.

10 quid credit might last her a few months?

To be honest, I have no idea...I've always had a contract phone and upgraded when the contract expires. So I'm not well versed in anything to do with PAYG.

She says she's kept the phone she's got in pristine condition, and is quite happy with it, and doesn't see why she needs to 'upgrade'...

I suppose I'm just ferreting around for 'options'.

Have a look at Three (3) PAYG sims.

They cost £10, are loaded with 2gb data, calls cost .03p and texts .02p. I found it to be about the cheapest and its not a monthly deal where the free minutes expire and need to be topped up. Had mine for around 2 months, never used the data yet and still have over £8.50 left on it.

Edit:

Just seen that FreedomPop is also charged monthly.

---------- Post added 10-05-2017 at 16:00 ----------

Are there any deals left where you can leave credit on and it stays there ? They all seem to expire after a month.

See above..

Edited by apelike

Have a look at Three (3) PAYG sims.

They cost £10, are loaded with 2gb data, calls cost .03p and texts .02p. I found it to be about the cheapest and its not a monthly deal where the free minutes expire and need to be topped up. Had mine for around 2 months, never used the data yet and still have over £8.50 left on it.

Edit:

Just seen that FreedomPop is also charged monthly.

---------- Post added 10-05-2017 at 16:00 ----------

See above..

Yes I know it's a monthly charge, so presumably any minutes texts or data you don't use presumably don't 'roll over'...But it is only a fiver!

Also...on a slightly tangential issue...Is it possible to get a sim and transfer the number from the contract sim over to it?....(It's always a real pain having to change numbers)

Edited by PeteMorris

Yes I know it's a monthly charge, so presumably any minutes texts or data you don't use presumably don't 'roll over'...But it is only a fiver!

True but it still may be cheaper in the long run to pay the 10 quid. To date on mine, if I had gone for a monthly one at a fiver I still would have paid 10 quid so far and at the end of this month also paid another fiver. As it stands I still have £8.50+ left including the 2GB data.

Also...on a slightly tangential issue...Is it possible to get a sim and transfer the number from the contract sim over to it?....(It's always a real pain having to change numbers)

Now that I cant help you with that as this was my first smartphone so kept the number that came with the sim. I believe that if the phone is unlocked then it is possible to keep it so ask the sim company. I didn't know much about sims so went into the Three shop on Fargate and they were very helpful and even asked if I need help in setting the phone up so cant fault them.

Freedom POP, complete waste of time. When you first get it, you're on their premium service (free for a month); you can either pay to continue with that (bad idea) or switch to their free service. I did the later, and straight away I couldn't make or receive calls, and their customer support was a bit of chocolate teapot. Also, if you wanted to use txts, you need to be on a smartphone and have an app installed, just for reading and sending txts.

Recommend you check out plusnet. They have a 30 day rolling contract sim, for a fiver, that has I think 250 mins and 1GB 4G data (and a bunch of txts).

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

Good luck!

Trouble is Waldo they are still rolling contract sims which means they expire and have to be renewed every month regardless of usage.

I applied months ago when they were doing the "free sim" offer, and loads of stuff - I didn't get any confirmation or acknowledgement past the activation email, lots of emails and chats to support with ZERO resolution other than "you can purchase one of these ones instead" type answers..

since, I removed myself from their website, but I still keep getting marketing emails - even after clicking the link at the bottom to remove myself from said marketing list...

FreedomPop is a VOIP based system, so if your phone doesn't have at least a decent 3G connection, you will be relying on your homes internet/WiFi connection, and they will in turn still be charging you per minute use...\

and as said above, as it's a VOIP system, it has no SMS support, so all your messaging will have to be done via 3rd Party app (Whatsapp or similar etc)

honestly a total waste of time, - I ended up on 3's 123 pay as you go, and can't say I have any complaints - I top up about £5 every 4 weeks at the moment...

Edited by Ghozer

Trouble is Waldo they are still rolling contract sims which means they expire and have to be renewed every month regardless of usage.

Sure. I have one with them, and pay them £6 a month by direct debit. It works for me.

If that (or the current offer of a fiver) is too much, and you're an infrequent user; then probably your suggestion is a much better fit.

Worth considering all options, compare and contrast, and see what's best given your typical usage.

Also, if my experience is anything like typical, avoid FreedomPOP like the plague!

So are there any sims that roll your credit over ?