Just a quick warning to everyone

About 20 minutes ago I have received a telephone call on my mobile phone (caller ID was blocked) from someone purporting to be from Microsoft Windows team.

At first I was taken in and followed their instructions. I then pointed out that I had Anti Virus software, and the person said that these 'trojans' that are going around are immune to anti virus software, and potentially much more serious. They needed to gain remote access to my computer to 'fix the problem'. I smelt a rat. I immediately rang off. I then Googled 'Would someone from Microsoft ever call me?' No they wouldn't.

IT IS A SCAM

I have linked an article from PC Advisor magazine about the scam:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/security/microsoft-phone-scam-dont-be-victim-tech-support-call-3378798/

I like to think I'm quite savvy, but initially I was taken in by them. Don't be fooled. By giving them remote access to your computer they can install 'malware', and heaven knows what else.

Moderators, so that as many people can see this as possible, please keep in 'General Discussions' thread, as I don't want others to fall for con artists. Thanks.

this is a really old scam, and well documented, nobody should be still taken in by it anymore

this is a really old scam, and well documented, nobody should be still taken in by it anymore

I hadn't heard about it until now....

There's a variation on this where they say they're calling "from the world wide web". Wherever that might be...

Perhaps you should reconsider your "savvy" status.

First thing to remember about 90% of these things is "how would they have my phone number?".

You ever given your phone number to Microsoft, or an anti-virus company etc.. Of course not, they usually only want an email address if you contact them.

Along with thousands and thousands who haven't heard about it yet, at least you got away without any trouble.

But they still are, and one of the reasons is this....

About 20 minutes ago I have received a telephone call on my mobile phone (caller ID was blocked) from someone purporting to be from Microsoft Windows team.

At first I was taken in and followed their instructions. I then pointed out that I had Anti Virus software, and the person said that these 'trojans' that are going around are immune to anti virus software, and potentially much more serious. They needed to gain remote access to my computer to 'fix the problem'. I smelt a rat. I immediately rang off. I then Googled 'Would someone from Microsoft ever call me?' No they wouldn't.

IT IS A SCAM

I have linked an article from PC Advisor magazine about the scam:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/security/microsoft-phone-scam-dont-be-victim-tech-support-call-3378798/

I like to think I'm quite savvy, but initially I was taken in by them. Don't be fooled. By giving them remote access to your computer they can install 'malware', and heaven knows what else.

Moderators, so that as many people can see this as possible, please keep in 'General Discussions' thread, as I don't want others to fall for con artists. Thanks.

Moderators hide it away in the tech section where most people never venture.

Perhaps you should reconsider your "savvy" status.

Awww cutey :rolleyes:

Perhaps SF should consider a new section of the forum: 'The Real Hustle: Take 2' - then scam phone calls, bogus cold callers, and other nefarious acts can be covered in one convenient place with subsections on: Computer Scams; Real World scams; bogus trades people etc. They could even have a 'Fake Sheffield' section! :D

If you treat any phone call as suspicious you won't go far wrong will you.

No tech company is ever likely to phone you, so that's Microsoft, google, McCafee and any other you can care to name.

Nor is HMRC.

Your bank is a possibility, but always call them back on a number you look up yourself.

Perhaps SF should consider a new section of the forum: 'The Real Hustle: Take 2' - then scam phone calls, bogus cold callers, and other nefarious acts can be covered in one convenient place with subsections on: Computer Scams; Real World scams; bogus trades people etc. They could even have a 'Fake Sheffield' section! :D

they do, its the search funtion when you type microsoft scam in :P

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=32550897

this one from 2013 says "still going on"

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1257172&highlight=microsoft+scam

so it was known waaaaaaaaaaaaay before then

Just to warn everyone, there apparently new telephone scam, some guy calling me on fix phone claiming that he's calling from Israel and he wanted "his bank account fix". I told him wrong number, then he insisted on my personal details. I sad that he got private appartment, but he again insisted on my personal details. After few more calls, I told him in polite manner that he can ***** **.

I like to think I'm quite savvy

I love this forum