Rock Climbing - first experience for children?

Hi -- we don't have kids ourselves but our godchildren are visiting this summer. Neither of them have ever been rock climbing, but Sheffield is famous for it and we wanted to see if we could give them a taster to see if they like it.

11 years old, and 13 years.

Any recommendations? Would it bet better to take them for an indoor course? Or is there a place that could teach them outdoors? Sort of hoping for the outdoors so they can see the countryside.

Try taking them here:

https://www.climbingworks.com/the-mini-works/

It's bouldering rather than rope climbing, which means that they can have a go in a safe environment without all the need for harnesses etc. Lots of walls of different level of difficulty, from very easy (suitable for 2-3 year olds!) to quite tricky. I think they also run classes.

Agree about miniworks. Can get busy if wet but great place. You have to go through a safety briefing first so that you can safely supervise the kids. Can hire shoes although should be fine with pumps or trainers tbh.

A third recommendation for the Climbing Works. Fab for beginners as if you fall, you don't fall far. Their mini works is a fantastic facility as well which is designed especially for kids and my 11 year old brother loves it. Like Jemson said, you would have to take a induction before you could take them but its only quite short.

Sort of hoping for the outdoors so they can see the countryside.
Take them to Burbage valley and let them scramble on the rocks there. Lots of easy, safe ones to do by the path.

For something more like real climbing outdoors you need to hire or find someone with some ropes and expertise

Fourth vote for the climbing works - very safe as a taster session - you can always take them outside later :)

It's a fantastic sport for kids.

My kids used to go weasling! Higger Tor is a good place, lots of rocks to scramble and weasle under and through.

My kids used to go weasling! Higger Tor is a good place, lots of rocks to scramble and weasle under and through.

Also great fun if the weather is good. Have to be a bit careful that they don`t bang their heads, mind, or wear helmets.