Dial House Club film shoot 1965 - were you there?

I am involved in showing a documentary filmed at the Dial House Club in 1965 by the German filmmaker Peter Nestler and 2 other people. They were in Sheffield for a few weeks and went to the club for a while before starting to film. We are now showing the film at the Sheffield Showroom on 11 November and the filmmaker will be there and I am sure he would be very pleased to meet some of the people who were there at that time.

I am involved in showing a documentary filmed at the Dial House Club in 1965 by the German filmmaker Peter Nestler and 2 other people. They were in Sheffield for a few weeks and went to the club for a while before starting to film. We are now showing the film at the Sheffield Showroom on 11 November and the filmmaker will be there and I am sure he would be very pleased to meet some of the people who were there at that time.

What time is the film being shown at ?

Can I get a copy of the film ?

The film is shown on Sunday, 11 November, at 3.30pm. I can't post the link but it is on the Showroom Website when you click on the calendar and on the date.

If you miss this, it is included a a BFI compilation called Roll Out the Barrel.

Thankyou for the information.

(Do I need to bring my club book and affiliation card ?)

No, you don't have to. It's open to everyone, but of course it would be of special interest to people who belong to working men's clubs.

No, you don't have to. It's open to everyone, but of course it would be of special interest to people who belong to working men's clubs.

I was only joking !!!!

The film is shown on Sunday, 11 November, at 3.30pm. I can't post the link but it is on the Showroom Website when you click on the calendar and on the date.

If you miss this, it is included a a BFI compilation called Roll Out the Barrel.

Link ...

http://www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/workingmensclubinsheffield

okay, I guess I missed that!

This old thread about the film includes (in Post #15) links to the film in three parts on YouTube (where it is an "unlisted video"). The film begins with a band playing "Hello Dolly", and then the voice-over begins. Here is a quick translation of the voice-over at the beginning of the film:

Sheffield is a working-class city in mid-England, comparable with Dusburg or Essen. Half a million people live here.

Then after a pause, a man is shown on Ben Lane, walking down to the club. The voice-over continues:

This is Mr Charles Henry Richards. He is 63 years old, married, and has a 31 year-old daughter who is ill and unable to work. He is a grinder in a cutlery factory and earns about 95 marks [then about £8 10s] per week. On Sundays he goes to the club at 10 in the morning to drink beer and talk with his friends.

Then the camera shows some people talking at the bar and playing cards etc. and the film continues.

Edited by hillsbro
Speling ...

Due to unforeseen circumstances Peter Nester will not be in attendance on Sunday the 11th of November, but the screening will still be going ahead. Ruth Cherrington, author of ‘Not Just Beer and Bingo – A Social History of Working Men’s Clubs’ will lead a Q&A session after the film.

http://www.goethe.de/ins/gb/lon/en9500432v.htm

You can watch the film on sheffield history under sheffield related video clips