Android to apple.

Been looking at some used iPad airs,l would prefer one with 4g. Is there any problems if they have been opened to any network? Cheers

As long as they've been unlocked legitimately and not through being jailbroken there won't be any issues.

Whilst I am no Google fan, Android is more user friendly when it comes to transferring files - if you tried to do that with an iPad you have to upload files to iTunes in order to download them to your device - you just can't do file transfers like music to iPad - I have to suffer them at work. I cannot stand the things and I wouldn't want an iPhone or an iPad. ;)

Whilst I am no Google fan, Android is more user friendly when it comes to transferring files - if you tried to do that with an iPad you have to upload files to iTunes in order to download them to your device - you just can't do file transfers like music to iPad - I have to suffer them at work. I cannot stand the things and I wouldn't want an iPhone or an iPad. ;)

I agree with you on the 'user friendly' comment, swarfendor43, but it depends what you want to use the pad for, IMO. I have an iPad, because the majority of my contacts have them, but I have borrowed my sisters Android device, and find that as easy to use. I'm probably in the minority here, but I use the iPad as a portable information device, not for the music/photo applications - I have a camera for photos and never listen to music out.

Having said that, I may get myself a cheap Android pad, IF I can't get the ipad to do something, but not found the need yet.

I agree about file transfer on the iPad. Android is so much easier to do with no special software needed. I dislike iTunes and the alternatives - would be much better to drag and drop. I too don't do any file transfers on the iPad - I just use it for browsing the web and listening to music/radio via the Internet. If I wanted to use it to listen to music when out and about I would go for Android. Before deciding what to buy a tablet, it's best to consider carefully what you are going to use it for.

you have to upload files to iTunes in order to download them to your device

There are third party apps available:

https://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager/

But its still a bit of a faff. What's wrong with just plugging it into the USB port of your PC and the PC seeing the storage as an external device?

Ipad is very good, itunes is the work of SATAN. Ive never used a less user friendly piece of software.

---------- Post added 15-05-2017 at 12:22 ----------

Agree with this completely!

<...> What's wrong with just plugging it into the USB port of your PC and the PC seeing the storage as an external device?
The DNA-level threshold of imbrication between DRM and iTunes ;)

Though for all the main apps chained up within the iOS ecosystem, there are some (relatively obscure/unknown/purpose-specific) apps that allow you to drag and drop files within iTunes (device view, click on apps, apps listed in bottom window, drag and drop from within the bottom right pane). I'm talking Appstore apps, no jailbreaking at all.

Including e.g. video players that work with *avis and *.mkvs, comic/ebook viewers that work with *.cbrs and *.pdfs, and (IIRC, as I don't use them) music players that work with *.mp3s and *.oggs (wherein all such files are DRM-less and not 'processed' or 'pre-processed' by iTunes, literally just drag from Explorer into the iTunes file list window and on they go).

iOS may be all chained up, and walled up, and locked down, and inflexible, and <...> relative to Android. But then, it's also extremely secure by reason of same, and pretty much idiot-proof (both characteristics extremely useful, when you spec a device for quasi-luddite elderly relatives, living far or near ;):D)

Edited by L00b

There are third party apps available:

https://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager/

But its still a bit of a faff. What's wrong with just plugging it into the USB port of your PC and the PC seeing the storage as an external device?

A PC will only see the DCIM folder - Zorin 11 will allow you to browse all files on an iPad, transfer to, copy from, delete but moving any file directly to an iPad will not get linked to the Apps, unlike Android. ;)

My parents have an iPad and not being able to transfer files easily annoyed me. Should be straight forward.

Personally prefer Android. I have used couple of versions of Linux, Windows, Mac OS and iOS. Can get along with them all except iOS but that could be because my Dad asks me to fix things for him and I don't use it often enough to really be comfortable with it. Plus he has no patience, for me it would be easier if it was an Android tablet.