The York, Broomhill, what do you think?

What should the York in Broomhill offer to the area  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What should the York in Broomhill offer to the area

• A Traditional and well run local Pub that caters for all ages 18 upwards
    • Cask Ales and aim to become a great addition to the Real Ale circuit
    • Continental bottled lagers and not just 'Carlsberg' + 'Heineken'
    • Excellent range of fine wines and not 'normal' pub plonk
    • Old fashioned vinyl jukebox (very unique now)
    • Classic Pinball machines
    • ZONED areas catering for students and non students
    • Live Music
    • DJ based Events
    • Dartboard
    • Pool table
    • restoration of original features of the interior
    • 'Chalkboards' as traditional Pub wall menus/offer displays
    • traditional pub table and stools
    • 'Comfortable' area with sofas
    • 'Juke box free' zone at one end of the Pub
    • Removal of all leftover O'Neills fittings, ie ceiling boarding, fake coving, etc
    • Classic Space invaders machine (sit down version)
    • Weekly Music and/or general knowledge quizzes

For anyone who is not in the know, one of Broomhills historic pubs is changing hands later in the year. I refer to THE YORK, a splendid 19th Century Public House which is currently part of the Scream student pub brand. October 20th will be the final day of The York as Scream, after that it passes to us. The York will be closed for 10 days and re-open 31st October which gives us time to do a lot of much needed work inside and out.

I am interested in collecting opinions of the York in its various formats. Do you like it as a Scream pub? Did you like it qwhen it was O'neills? Did you prefer it when it was a classic traditional pub prior to 1997?

The current plan is to create a traditional real ale led Pub with restoration of many features and space that has been 'blocked off' since 1997. A traditional pub, but not, and I repeat not a 100% locals only style operation, but to create a good blend of locals, students, non students and young professionals, etc.

The York will cease to be a Scream Pub, and going with it will be its £1 pint mondays and yellow card discounts, over this we have no control. The interior, which is in poor and unloved condition, will be completely altered, the extent to which has not been decided pending meeting with my surveyor.

The more ideas I can gather the better. The currrent overwhelming opinion taken from this forum on the Broomhill pubs thread, and other sources, indicate beyond all doubt that the York should return to a good and well run traditional Pub. Over to you.........feel free to comment here on any aspects, and also vote in the poll which contains a selection of different approaches.

Please note that SKY TV and the BIG SCREENS are not part of the acquisition package, and will be removed. Subject to demand, this may be reviewed at a later date. All other Scream F and F will be removed, the bar will be completely re-done, the decor, floors and lighting will be changed, and the pub gets an industrial clean the like of which it has not seen for many years!!

When I worked in the York, it was a haven away from the students, somewhere that the normal people who live in and near Broomhill could go that wasn't totally targetted to the late teenage mass market of the other pubs in the area. I personally think that it would be great to have that sort of vibe reinstated.

Thinking back to my time as a student, it would also be really handy if any of the 'hotel' bits could be restored as finding local accommodation for visiting parents could be difficult when new to the area. I don't know whether that's possible (I have seen earlier posts which have shown the sad state of the upper floors of the building) but I think that restoring it to usable state would be good.

When I worked in the York, it was a haven away from the students, somewhere that the normal people who live in and near Broomhill could go that wasn't totally targetted to the late teenage mass market of the other pubs in the area. I personally think that it would be great to have that sort of vibe reinstated.

Thinking back to my time as a student, it would also be really handy if any of the 'hotel' bits could be restored as finding local accommodation for visiting parents could be difficult when new to the area. I don't know whether that's possible (I have seen earlier posts which have shown the sad state of the upper floors of the building) but I think that restoring it to usable state would be good.

re your first point, this is in sympathy with a great many views I have heard from people in the area. And I assure you the York iwll not target the 18-21 only markets, but will instead offer an atmosphere and environment with a lot of cross appeal. can I just ask what period tou refer to when you worked there? Are we talking the pre 1997 days before O'Neills refurb?

yes I want to restore the upper levels, they are simply stunning time warp 'lost spaces' at the moment. This is a long term project though, and is likely to be done in stages.

As you remember the old York, can you shed some light on the old side entrance that comes out on Glossop Road? this was blocked off at the top, but it is not clear where the inner door comes out. I believe the cellarhead area has been extended in the toilet corridor, and there is a false wall there somewhere. I remember I think the side entrance used to come next to the gents toilet door somewhere....its one feature I want to restore.......

I don't like the idea of student/non-student areas in the bar, Broomhill is a mixed community and so it should be a mixed pub. When I was a student (in a different area of the city) I used to go to pubs with mixed clientele and it was nice. Haven't been in The York since moving to Broomhill - that's mainly because my friends don't live locally, but also because it's Scream, which=students. When it changes, I would probably visit on occasion - a good food set-up (reasonable prices, tasty fare) would be nice.

I don't like the idea of student/non-student areas in the bar, Broomhill is a mixed community and so it should be a mixed pub. When I was a student (in a different area of the city) I used to go to pubs with mixed clientele and it was nice. Haven't been in The York since moving to Broomhill - that's mainly because my friends don't live locally, but also because it's Scream, which=students. When it changes, I would probably visit on occasion - a good food set-up (reasonable prices, tasty fare) would be nice.

yes I agree...I just threw in that option to see what people said. Like all the other Pubs in Broomhill, I do think a general mix is what it is all about. Students and locals CAN blend together, but there are a few who want it to remain a 100% student only pub, and who have a poor opinion of 'locals'. The facebook group SAVE THE YORK is one such example, where some students seem alarmed at the prospect of having what they perceive to be an 'old mans pub' replace the Scream model.

This is of course, rediculous.....so feel free to go the facebook group and have your say to, as it seems 100% student dominated at the moment and is a bit one sided......

re your first point, this is in sympathy with a great many views I have heard from people in the area. And I assure you the York iwll not target the 18-21 only markets, but will instead offer an atmosphere and environment with a lot of cross appeal. can I just ask what period tou refer to when you worked there? Are we talking the pre 1997 days before O'Neills refurb?

yes I want to restore the upper levels, they are simply stunning time warp 'lost spaces' at the moment. This is a long term project though, and is likely to be done in stages.

As you remember the old York, can you shed some light on the old side entrance that comes out on Glossop Road? this was blocked off at the top, but it is not clear where the inner door comes out. I believe the cellarhead area has been extended in the toilet corridor, and there is a false wall there somewhere. I remember I think the side entrance used to come next to the gents toilet door somewhere....its one feature I want to restore.......

Yes- it was late 80s and early 90s when I worked there, when the bar was set in a triangle across the corner to your left as you enter from the front door, and there were 3 separate rooms (with the juke box in the middle room and the dart board across from the bar).

As to the side door- I haven't been into that bit since the refurbs (not needed to go and explore near the gents when I've been in you know!) but yes, I remember that it was next to the door to the gents- but of course I can't tell whether the door to the gents has been moved over time either! The place was unrecognisable after the O'Neills refurbishment that I can't picture the old insides any more to be honest- and much of their changes weren't improvements either.

It would certainly be helpful to have that reopened- I can't understand why it was taken out when thinking about access for those with disabilities and the like.

As with the previous posts, I wouldn't want student/towny zones. In the dim and distant past I was a student living in Crookes, and part of what made those days great was mixing with the locals, in the locals. I know times change but I would hope there are still many students who want to feel a part of the community rather than ghettoising themselves.

No problem with most of the suggestions, though as an old fart I'm not bothered about DJ sessions. Jukeboxes are tricky to get right, but if you can do it, they are fine.

I note no Sky Sports on the list. I'm not advocating it necessarily, but it is a big factor for many people.

I wouldn't object to Sky Sports if it was in a dedicated part of the pub.

I wouldn't object to Sky Sports if it was in a dedicated part of the pub.

Sky Sports costs 1000's a year for pubs and many are dropping it as the prices have massively increased recently. Plus we are losing all the TV's and screens too so that also requires more investment if we want an equivalent arrangement. I don't want to mirror all the other pubs in the area in all ways, but will listen to all comments on this topic. I believe ALL the other Broomhill pubs have Sky Sports, which does indicate something, but correct me if I am wrong?

Yes- it was late 80s and early 90s when I worked there, when the bar was set in a triangle across the corner to your left as you enter from the front door, and there were 3 separate rooms (with the juke box in the middle room and the dart board across from the bar).

As to the side door-yes, I remember that it was next to the door to the gents- but of course I can't tell whether the door to the gents has been moved over time either! The place was unrecognisable after the O'Neills refurbishment that I can't picture the old insides any more to be honest- and much of their changes weren't improvements either.

It would certainly be helpful to have that reopened- I can't understand why it was taken out when thinking about access for those with disabilities and the like.

There was a disabled access provided where the old shops were that were incorporated into the refurb in 1997. And the side entrance was never disabled access, it was a small flight of stairs from Glossop Road up the main bar level. originally it afforded access direct to the Hotel part of the pub. Anyway i intend to re -use it if the inner door can be located and the stairs have not been ripped out. I am getting the original 1997 refurb plans from M+B which should have hundreds of photographs of the before and after, which will be very very useful indeed.

There is a pic of the interior of the Old York taken in 1980 at the bottom of the web page below. Note the lovely 70's wallpaper, jukebox, and it shows part of the room too.

http://www.doveandrainbow.com/york.html

Am still trying to locate more old pix which seem, like the Dove and Rainbow, incredibly rare.

Some nice ideas there.

Obvious ones are the refurbishment of the interior, going back to some of the original features and fittings (but not too far back that it seems old fashioned).

Would be nice if it had a bit of a modern feel to it (I don't mean like the bars down West Street, I just mean so it doesn't end up like say the Ranmoor Inn - while a great pub in its own I don't think that's the kind of look that would work here).

I would say no to traditional pub tables and stools, but yes to comfy sofa areas - but make sure they're not so spaced apart you can't talk to people. I hate that in pubs and bars!

On to other bits, a large range of continental beers & lagers mixed with some local real ales would be a good starting point. Cocktails would be good too. If you want inspiration, have a look at the Old House on Division Street. The best selection of drinks in the city IMO.

I've selected pool tables and the Space Invaders tables as I think these would help attract the younger crowd while not bothering locals so much. However the pool table at the moment doesn't fit too great so i'm not sure how you could work round that one.

The music side of things, it would be great to be able to let bands and DJ's play various types of music (something the Harley does really well), but would be good to have a quieter area too.

And finally, the York has quite a nice large smoking area. Doesn't need much doing to it. Just smartening up a little and some better heating.

Some nice ideas there.

Obvious ones are the refurbishment of the interior, going back to some of the original features and fittings

Would be nice if it had a bit of a modern feel to it

I would say no to traditional pub tables and stools, but yes to comfy sofa areas -

On to other bits, a large range of continental beers & lagers mixed with some local real ales would be a good starting point.

I've selected pool tables and the Space Invaders tables as I think these would help attract the younger crowd while not bothering locals so much. However the pool table at the moment doesn't fit too great so i'm not sure how you could work round that one.

The music side of things, it would be great to be able to let bands and DJ's play various types of music (something the Harley does really well), but would be good to have a quieter area too.

Thanks for all those. yes there are quite a few original features that can be used, although regarding the removal of the left over O Neills ceiling boading and rhe covering of the 19th century cornice with that dreadful fake irish clover coving, this depends on what condition they left the originals in. In my experience, pub refurbs tend to take little care of original features so they may well be bashed and battered underneath, or even ripped out completely, not sure yet.

The problem with the pool table is its a pub with lots of corners and different areas separated by pillars, so I think there is really no room for it. It never used to have one for that reason.

MUSIC...I am not creating a stage area, but there will be space for bands in the future, even if it means stacking away a few tables and chairs.

SOFAS: I admit I am NOT a fan of these in pubs as they tend to get very dirty very fast. The present ones absolutely reek and I wont even sit on them they are so disgusting. But we will see.......fabric furniture is a no-no, but maybe some nice washable ones that don't absorb smells and stains.

I am also keeping all the current FIXED seating put in by O'Neills in 97 as its actually very high quality wood, very very solid, with good easy to clean materials and better than the original fixed seating that was removed.