HP Compaq dc7900 SFF Died

My old HP Compaq dc7900 SFF was working perfectly but now won't switch on.

Tried different socket and power lead but still dead. Tested switch on front and that works O.K. so want to test PSU but internet says to disconnect all leads from PSU and bridge between pins 15 and 16 on the 24 pin connector. Elsewhere on the net it says doing this with no load could damage the PSU and suggests keeping the HDD and motherboard connected is the way to go. Advice would be appreciated as I am using an even older Dell running XP with all fingers crossed, making typing difficult.

Thanks for that, but far too technical for me as I am a silver (grey) surfer. I was looking to test the PSU and either replace it, or by-pass the power on signal by inserting a switch between pins 15 and 16.

You could try the power supply in your Dell with the Compaq motherboard but beware - Dell used non-standard power supply connectors for a while. Read this before attempting anything: Dell proprietary (non-standard) ATX design.

If you're unsure of the compatibility of the Dell power supply, your best bet is to find someone with a spare power supply you could borrow.

Thanks for replies. Connected pins 15 and 16 with paperclip and tried with PSU connected up inside PC, and disconnected ouside PC and the fan in the PSU is not turning so assume PSU is dead and have ordered a replacement.