Why won't Theresa May take part in a TV debate?

Theresa May said she won't take part in a televised debate between the leaders of the parties.

Why is that?

Theresa May said she won't take part in a televised debate between the leaders of the parties.

Why is that?

Its not the norm in this country to do them. Its only a very recent thing that was experimented with. They made Nick Clegg the golden boy.....that went well didn't it?!

Why is that?

I think it's mostly a Scottish issue. She doesn't want to commit to a debate with Sturgeon to give her an equal platform. How do you decide who gets a seat on the debate? The SNP are the third largest party, but Sturgeon isn't a Westminster MP.

Its not the norm in this country to do them. Its only a very recent thing that was experimented with. They made Nick Clegg the golden boy.....that went well didn't it?!

Yes they are a fairly recent experiment, but they have quickly become the norm.

I think it's mostly a Scottish issue. She doesn't want to commit to a debate with Sturgeon to give her an equal platform. How do you decide who gets a seat on the debate? The SNP are the third largest party, but Sturgeon isn't a Westminster MP.

But they are both party leaders. UKIP's Nigel Farage wasn't even an MP when he was involved in leaders debates in 2015.

I dont think she likes to be put on the spot. PMs questions she only has to deal with Corbyn, there will be sharper questions at these things and her answers will be compared with other answers - farrage - arse that he is - would eat her alive.

That was always one of camerons stronger points - it puzzled me why he wasnt a fan.

Yes they are a fairly recent experiment, but they have quickly become the norm.

But they are both party leaders. UKIP's Nigel Farage wasn't even an MP when he was involved in leaders debates in 2015.

I agree, I think it would have to be all of them and then she appears as an equal to Nuttall, Sturgeon, etc. It's lose/lose as an incumbent PM.

I agree, I think it would have to be all of them and then she appears as an equal to Nuttall, Sturgeon, etc. It's lose/lose as an incumbent PM.

Well - if she refuses to take part then that sets a precedent for any future leader not to take part.

I would like to point out that many Tories are saying that Theresa May's skill is reading from a script, and giving one to one interviews.

However Gordon Brown who was taunted mercilessly by Tories for not wanting to take part in them because of his personality traits, did so.

I dont think she likes to be put on the spot. PMs questions she only has to deal with Corbyn, there will be sharper questions at these things and her answers will be compared with other answers - farrage - arse that he is - would eat her alive.

That was always one of camerons stronger points - it puzzled me why he wasnt a fan.

I seem to recall Cameron was advised not to do them. The feeling being the incumbent has more to lose.

She has to deal with many stronger debaters than Corbyn, she was visibly flummoxed and flustered when questioned by Yvette Cooper today. So much so that May's only Tory MP, David Mundell could be seen uttering the words 'ignorant bitch' after Cooper sat down.

Sounds plausible. Whenever I put on Question Time and Dimbleby says, "this week we are in (insert Scottish place)" I groan and think this is going to be boring.

Sturgeon will bang on and on about another referendum. As is her right/job maybe. But it's tedious. I would duck out of any debate with her as well, for the sake of my own sanity.

Edited by MamboNo5

I seem to recall Cameron was advised not to do them. The feeling being the incumbent has more to lose.

I think you're correct that Cameron was advised not to do them by Lynton Crosby.

But isn't it about the electorate being allowed to quiz those who want to become PM, and not about the comfort of party leaders?

If the boot was on the other foot and Labour were ducking out of a TV debate, can you imagine what the Daily Mail, Sun, Express response would be? Twitter would be going into meltdown under the weight of Tories complaining.

Why is that?

No need for her to have one.

The leaders debates worked well the first time in 2010, with just the three leaders. The problem now is all the minority party leaders now want to get involved and they become a shouting contest. Theresa May regularly debates with Corbyn in the House of Parliament, meaning the electorate have had plenty of time to judge, which one of them is most suitable to hold the position of Prime Minister.