Stocksbridge Railway Line

Since Fox Valley has opened on the old steel site in Stocksbridge does anyone know if the railway line that runs all the way down to the Holiday Inn in Sheffield center is used anymore?

It would make a cracking trail for walking and cycling etc. and I wondered if it wasn't being used then maybe I could propose such a venture from National Lottery funding or something. Maybe it could become part of the TPT or something.

the line is still in some use by the steel works

There is a group who wish to reopen the line to passenger trains and another that runs an occasional steam train.

Apart from al the freight which goes to the steelworks every week the line is far from redundant.

The line is used once a day by the steel train running up from Rotherham. Usually around 11pm .

I would support a passenger train. I work near the city centre and will soon be moving back to Stocksbridge. I could even take my bike on the train :D

---------- Post added 20-04-2017 at 12:18 ----------

Since Fox Valley has opened on the old steel site in Stocksbridge does anyone know if the railway line that runs all the way down to the Holiday Inn in Sheffield center is used anymore?

It would make a cracking trail for walking and cycling etc. and I wondered if it wasn't being used then maybe I could propose such a venture from National Lottery funding or something. Maybe it could become part of the TPT or something.

There's already a walking/cycling route from Deepcar to Oughtibridge, which you can join up with Beeley Woods and get into town almost entirely off road. I used to use it quite regularly.

Maybe it could be a Supertram route?

Yes a good idea maybe for a tram/train extension especially as they may also be giving planning permission for over 300 houses on the old Oughtibridge Mill site, and the same rail track is just behind it.

Saw one at Manor top today with driver under instruction on it.

I suspect that, given the right permissions, for a few thousand you could charter an old Diesel engine and some compatible coaches to run a regular service on this exising line to town. All that would be required would be suitable platforms constructing in the right places to form a couple of basic Halt stations and the correct signalling systems.

Whereas to construct all the overhead power lines and testing for a Supertram or Tram-Train service, and tram stops would probably cost hundreds of Millions and take years.

Been mooted a few times, but the line/route isn't particularly amazing and the cost is prohibitive.

Maybe with further development in the area or something, you never know?

I suspect that, given the right permissions, for a few thousand you could charter an old Diesel engine and some compatible coaches to run a regular service on this exising line to town. All that would be required would be suitable platforms constructing in the right places to form a couple of basic Halt stations and the correct signalling systems.

Whereas to construct all the overhead power lines and testing for a Supertram or Tram-Train service, and tram stops would probably cost hundreds of Millions and take years.

What about the new tram/trains that are going to go to Rotherham.They don't need electric.

What about the new tram/trains that are going to go to Rotherham.They don't need electric.

They do, which is why they've electrified the route