Old route of A57 through Sheffield

Can anyone remember to pre Parkway and pre Inner Ring Road days, and confirm where the A57 ran, through Sheffield.

From Broomhill, it now heads down towards Broad Lane. But I'm sure it used to be via Glossop Road and West Street. But where did it go then? Commercial Street or Haymarket?

Later on, it was Handsworth Hill, and via Woodhouse Mill to Swallownest (now all bypassed by the Aston relief road)

But what about the bit in the city centre? Was it out via Attercliffe Road towards Darnall and Handsworth Road, or more like Cricket Inn Rd.

I've tried Wikipedia, which has a large section on the A57, but seems to be a mix of old and new, and isn't clear which is which.

This interest was partly inspired by a recent thread, but I also remembered a traffic news report of a few years ago, on national radio (radio 5), saying that there were hold ups in Sheffield due to an accident at the junction of the A57 and the A61, and thinking that locals would be unlikely to know where they meant. I think it had actually happened somewhere near Mobray Street, but I was not sure.

There's a sign directly outside Bahn Thai with a distance to Glossop on it, which is just 20 metres away from St Mary's Gate.

I have a single sheet 2.5 " to mile map from 1958 in front of me and if you follow the a57 from the west the marking on the map shows A57 at just before crosspool and then the marking dissapears untill its leaving the city at the beginning of staniforth road just off attercliffe road...there doesnt seem to be a direct route through the city thats marked A57

Can anyone remember to pre Parkway and pre Inner Ring Road days, and confirm where the A57 ran, through Sheffield.

From Broomhill, it now heads down towards Broad Lane. But I'm sure it used to be via Glossop Road and West Street. But where did it go then? Commercial Street or Haymarket?

Later on, it was Handsworth Hill, and via Woodhouse Mill to Swallownest (now all bypassed by the Aston relief road)

But what about the bit in the city centre? Was it out via Attercliffe Road towards Darnall and Handsworth Road, or more like Cricket Inn Rd.

I've tried Wikipedia, which has a large section on the A57, but seems to be a mix of old and new, and isn't clear which is which.

This interest was partly inspired by a recent thread, but I also remembered a traffic news report of a few years ago, on national radio (radio 5), saying that there were hold ups in Sheffield due to an accident at the junction of the A57 and the A61, and thinking that locals would be unlikely to know where they meant. I think it had actually happened somewhere near Mobray Street, but I was not sure.

A57

Manchester Road, Fulwood Road, Glossop Road, West Street, Bow Street,

Church Street, High Street, Haymarket, Waingate, Wicker, Saville Street,

Attercliffe Road, Staniforth Road, Handsworth Road, Retford Road to Aston

Alternative main route High Street Angel Street, Snig Hill, Bridge Street, Wicker.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
possible variation

Guest sibon
A57

And that is all you need to know.

I used to get the 85 from Anston, through Aston, Fence, Woodhouse, Handsworth, Darnall, Attercliffe, past the markets and to Pond Street. Most of the journey was on the A57. All for 4p:)

Roads were once a lot simpler to follow.

Manchester Rd, Chesterfield Rd, London Rd, Barnsley Road.

No confusion about where they went! :)

Or where they came from!

Who used to travel on Queens Road?

East Coast Road was straight forward enough but the Bochum Parkway :hihi:

I was born a few hundred yards away from East Coast Road -the Brightside Lane /Princess Street end and as a kid, was intrigued on first seeing the street nameplate as to which part of the Lincolnshire seaside it would lead to. Alas only to Bessemer Road in industrial Attercliffe and then on, in tow to my mother to 'Banner's'. However, ECR and BR are still there in their former glory.

---------- Post added 16-04-2017 at 22:47 ----------

Also Torbay Road (Pitsmoor), Devon Road/ Plymouth Road (Abbeydale Road area) and Cornish Street are about as far from the West Country as you'll be in Sheffield.

Edited by stpetre
add

A57

Alternative main route High Street Angel Street, Snig Hill, Bridge Street, Wicker.

spot on Annie. The A57 was planned as the Liverpool to Skegness trunk road but never got to Skegness and finished in the center of Lincoln.