Root an htc phone

I have an htc e9+, a bit rare in this neck of the woods. It's a Chinese market model and it has some malware pre-installed on it.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to have it rooted?

Hello Dv108

First of all you would need to find out wether bootloader is locked or not. If it's locked then you'd need to get bootloader unlock code from HTC themselves. After you unlock bootloader you may be able to flash it with stock HTC OS. But if you want to go with custom android (like MIUI or AOSP) you will need root and custom recovery.

This is what I found https://boycracked.com/2016/02/04/how-to-root-install-custom-recovery-on-htc-e9-e9-plus/

I cant however confirm that it works as I never had this phone and never tried to root it. Rooting phone and installing custom OS WILL void your warranty and it even may brick your phone so we ain't taking any responsibility here. Follow the guide at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

P.S. If you will go for custom OS go for AOSP or AOKP, most clean Android OS available there.

Thanks for getting back to me, but I definitely don't want to try to root it myself. I tried using kingroot, that failed and that was far enough.

What I was wondering was could anyone recommend a shop or somebody who's good at it? Given it's an unusual phone

Thanks for getting back to me, but I definitely don't want to try to root it myself. I tried using kingroot, that failed and that was far enough.

Before you can root it you need to unlock the bootloader first.

What I was wondering was could anyone recommend a shop or somebody who's good at it? Given it's an unusual phone

I doubt you will get anybody to do it for you as its very possible that you can brick the phone and people don't want that responsibility as already stated in other posts. However this is a good place to gen up on how to do it yourself.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one-m9/one-e9/htc-one-e9-root-t3097534

https://forum.xda-developers.com/one-m9/one-e9/guide-how-to-root-install-twrp-s-off-t3288036

If you want to root a phone then its best to find out first which phones can easily be rooted before buying one.

Thanks for that, but again, I was looking for help in Sheffield. A shop that somebody could recommend?

Hello Dv108,

Our shop is located in Walkley and we could do it. However I've got to say that there are chances to brick the phone. I have rooted a lot of phones and never bricked a single one (though one of Xperia's was close to be bricked) , and been MIUI developer in UK for last three years, so I've got some experience. If you're OK with a risk, we can try and do it for you. Just, we would not take responsibility for this. I know this sounds weird but, these days is quite hard to brick the phone because of safety features built into bootloader, but there's always small chance for an accident.

Thanks

ehallam, thanks for giving a relevant answer. I was beginning to wonder how to make myself clear! I live in Walkley, so I'll come over some time this week