Help needed with hp g6 laptop

ok so i turned my laptop off all ok

turned it back on and the fan spins but blank screen 1 power light white wifi light orange and caps lock blinking white.

i have had a look around some say video chip some say bios corruption.

Just wondered if anybody had this issue and resolved it.

Thanks

First thing unplug everything including power adapter. Remove battery. Hold down power button for 30 seconds. Put the battery back in, power on and see whats happens.

Same thing may occur again but it is worth a shot.

how old is it? some old(er) HP H6 Laptops had a notorious failure rate due to the GPU overheating...

What's the exact model? and I can look it up :)

Hello,

I think Ghozer may be right about GPU overheating. The pile of broken motherboards in our shop are mostly HP's (DV6xxx, DV7xxx, G6 series...). Blinking Caps lock or power LED works as a error code identifier. Depending on how many blinks you see, you can identify the problem.

Code - Meaning - Solution

Continuous glow - Battery or charger fault, sometimes power grid fault - Motherboard replacement

1 Blink then pause - CPU not functional - CPU or Motherboard replacement.

2 Blinks then pause - Bios fault - CMOS reset, Motherboard replacement, BIOS chip resoldering.

3 Blinks then pause - RAM fault - Ram replacement.

4 Blinks then pause - GPU fault - Motherboard replacement, if GPU is not soldered on motherboard, sometimes it's possible to replace GPU card, but as far as I know G6 has soldered on GPU's.

5 Blinks then pause - System board/ Motherboard general fault - Motherboard replacement.

6 Blinks then pause - Bios failure no authorisation/handshake - BIOS chip resoldering or motherboard replacement.

Continuous Blinking - AC adapter fault - Insufficient power to turn on system - replace AC adapter.

Hope this helps to identify problem!

Thanks!

deffo 4 blinks thanks for all your help

deffo 4 blinks thanks for all your help
you can get independent engineers report to say its a gpu manufacturer fault(its well known to hp).Take it back to where you bought it with engineers report snd proof of purchase and claim sale of goods act...they will speak to hp and shop will replace it.I did all of this with staples and they replaced it even though its way out of warranty. Hp knowingly produced and sold laptops that would never last normal lifespan. There is no permanent fix. The overheating nvidia chipset issue also affected ps3.Good luck

you can get independent engineers report to say its a gpu manufacturer fault(its well known to hp).Take it back to where you bought it with engineers report snd proof of purchase and claim sale of goods act...they will speak to hp and shop will replace it.I did all of this with staples and they replaced it even though its way out of warranty. Hp knowingly produced and sold laptops that would never last normal lifespan. There is no permanent fix. The overheating nvidia chipset issue also affected ps3.Good luck

thanks for that

Please contact the shop where you bought it from before getting an independent engineers report. Some retailers will offer to look at themselves.

Unless there has been some agreed recall/swap for known faulty laptops then there is no guarantee that they will replace.

The Sale of Goods Act/Consumer Rights Act (depends on when you bought the laptop) covers you for up to 6 years. This means that if you can prove that it was inherently faulty at the time of purchase the retailer has to offer a remedy. This could be a repair, replacement or refund. If the laptop is several years old then the retailer will likely offer a repair or a partial refund.

They may also offer nothing if the laptop has lasted a reasonable amount of time before failing. If it was a cheap/budget laptop that say lasted 5 years I you have had your money's worth.