Best Attacking Headers

Fletcher's second goal for Wednesday last night reminded me of some of the headed goals scored by the centre forwards of old. For me, Andy Lockhead, Alan Gilzean, Ron Davies and Tony Hately were about the best and for smaller men Denis Law and Kevin Keegan were both very good in the air.

Locally, I'd go for John Ritchie and John Tudor with Mick Jones and Bronco Layne not far behind.

Anybody else? I can't think of any in the modern era to match these.

The modern game seems to produce smaller, faster more skillful forwards.

Funny thing, when I saw the title of the thread I thought of Alan Gilzean!

Must add " The Doog", Fred Pickering, Jeff Astle, Ronnie Moore, and thinking about it was there a team who didn,t have a centre forward who couldn,t head the ball even if he wasn,t there top scorer, but most were,

Must add " The Doog", Fred Pickering, Jeff Astle, Ronnie Moore, and thinking about it was there a team who didn,t have a centre forward who couldn,t head the ball even if he wasn,t there top scorer, but most were,

Good picks there Alan, I should have included Derek Dougan certainly.

I once read a very interesting article about Denis Law and how as a young lad he learn,t to head the ball in his mothers kitchen by tying a tennis ball to the clothes rack and highering it up. Maybe Dave could take a leaf out of DLs book.,

I once read a very interesting article about Denis Law and how as a young lad he learn,t to head the ball in his mothers kitchen by tying a tennis ball to the clothes rack and highering it up. Maybe Dave could take a leaf out of DLs book.,

Lol, I don't think there must be a word for 'jump' in Albanian.

Fletcher's second goal for Wednesday last night reminded me of some of the headed goals scored by the centre forwards of old. For me, Andy Lockhead, Alan Gilzean, Ron Davies and Tony Hately were about the best and for smaller men Denis Law and Kevin Keegan were both very good in the air.

Locally, I'd go for John Ritchie and John Tudor with Mick Jones and Bronco Layne not far behind.

Anybody else? I can't think of any in the modern era to match these.

Wyn Davies, Peter Osgood, George Best. My late dad thought Tommy Lawton, who could also score with either foot was the best he saw but my father would utter such things.

ime surprised Big Jack is not mentioned. that's all he was good at with regards to playing football.

I think the player that's scored the most headers in the prem this season is none other than our old friend Michail Antonio. Not bad for a winger.

ime surprised Big Jack is not mentioned. that's all he was good at with regards to playing football.

Big Jack ? and his brother couldn't head the ball for toffee !

John Charles, sorry everybody but he was the complete all rounder.

Derek Pace ex Sheffield United !

Not that big, but scored a lot with his head.