We'd like to buy a small house in Crookes

We are looking for a nice two bed house in the Crookes area or Broomhill or near Ecclesall Road. Can anyone suggest which roads are nice? We don't know Sheffield at all, but need to help a relative. Thank you.

You'd be better off finding a house, or more than one, then coming on here and asking advice about them. There are far too many roads in those areas to specify which are nice/not nice.

You'd be better off finding a house, or more than one, then coming on here and asking advice about them. There are far too many roads in those areas to specify which are nice/not nice.

'Nice' is also open to interpretation.

You're describing a pretty big area, that I think would generally be described as "nice". I'd be more concerned about what your budget can buy in the area, and the specific location of the house. Issues I'd want to consider would be how many of the neighbouring houses are student-occupied / rented out. What's the parking like (there's little offroad parking in these areas - even if the occupier doesn't drive, is there going to be an issue with deliveries / visitors?). I'd also think about how close it is to the pub / takeaways - they can be quite a source of late-night noise, if that's an issue. A lot of houses in these areas are Victorian terraces - they've often been poorly maintained (sold by elderly owners / during probate to student landlords is not an uncommon scenario). Many of them are leasehold and have some conditions in the lease, particularly rights of access across the back or front of the property for other leaseholders. I have lived all my adult life in Crookes or Broomhill and think they're great areas to live in but I think you have to take each property on its individual merits - just a quick look on Google Streetview will give the idea of some of the answers to these questions for an individual property before you decide whether or not to view it.

Thank you for your advice. It's a minefield, but hopefully a few visits to Sheffield will give us an idea of where we'd like to buy. Seems to be a very popular place to live with lovely countryside nearby.

Thank you for your advice. It's a minefield, but hopefully a few visits to Sheffield will give us an idea of where we'd like to buy. Seems to be a very popular place to live with lovely countryside nearby.

All those areas are 'nice' in general, IMO (my idea of nice!) - however, 2 bed house isn't enough info for advice bridgetlouis.

You'll get more responses with a rough idea of budget, and what you are looking for specifically. i.e. more vibrant road or quiet road. Nice could be either depending on taste :)

I'd love to live in Crookes, but I can't afford it... however, one of my considerations is parking. If you want a parking space closeby/on plot in most of this area, then this makes a big difference.

Yes, I know it was a pretty stupid question, but I didn't know how active this forum is, as only just joined. Our budget would be up to £230k and we would want it to be within 5 mins to shops/bars/restaurants. Also, we would need easy access to parking. A two bedroom house would be perfect with a small outside space. If anybody on here knows of a house coming up in Crookes/Broomhill around this budget, get in touch!!

Yes, I know it was a pretty stupid question, but I didn't know how active this forum is, as only just joined.

It's not a stupid question at all. I see your point with the active forum part, with this info, you'll get much better response.

Our budget would be up to £230k and we would want it to be within 5 mins to shops/bars/restaurants. Also, we would need easy access to parking. A two bedroom house would be perfect with a small outside space. If anybody on here knows of a house coming up in Crookes/Broomhill around this budget, get in touch!!

I'd look myself now on rightmove, but I'm off to bed, and rightmove isn't the best thing to click on when winding down :hihi: I'm sure someone else will before I look it up.

One more thing...What about parking? How many cars will you have, and if any, and how picky are you about where it's parked?

This popped up on the first page of a search on Rightmove. It seems to fit your needs.

Stannington View Road.

Thank you. I guess I'll just have to keep trawling through Rightmove. Would prefer a terraced house with a very low maintenance garden. Will need to park one car nearby. Does anyone know if Blakeney Road is a good quiet road?

Thank you. I guess I'll just have to keep trawling through Rightmove. Would prefer a terraced house with a very low maintenance garden. Will need to park one car nearby. Does anyone know if Blakeney Road is a good quiet road?

Good road, quite a few student houses, but won't be as quiet as some around there, as it's a bit of an alternative run through from School Road to Crookes.

---------- Post added 05-04-2017 at 08:55 ----------

This popped up on the first page of a search on Rightmove. It seems to fit your needs.

Stannington View Road.

That's not bad at all for the price, this one too looks amazing for 230!

Both look a bit big what what they looking for though.

There's this one with driveway just above Broomhill in Crosspool

Edited by *_ash_*

The whole area is nice.

Most of the houses you will be looking at will be very similar - 1880-90s two up, two downs, with kitchen extension, loft conversion and 3rd box room + retro-fitted internal bathroom.

The things to differentiate them will be more parking availability (Broomhill bad and you have to pay, Crookes bad but free), shared or private garden, and closeness to place of work, shops, pubs etc.