UBER drivers deemed to be employees

A tribunal has ruled that drivers who sign up for UBER should have full employment rights and should no longer be treated as being self employed.

This could completely ruin their business model.

I'd be interested to hear from any UBER drivers and other taxi drivers.

:wave: Hi Ash

If the arguments for treating UBER drivers as employees are applied consistently, why doesn't it also apply to companies like City Taxis?

If the arguments for treating UBER drivers as employees are applied consistently, why doesn't it also apply to companies like City Taxis?

It may well do, as well as van drivers.

It'll get thrown out on appeal.

The ruling was so damning of UBER's claims, that going to appeal will just be a delaying tactic by UBER ... according to the BBC earlier ... but who trusts anything the BBC says these days? :(

surely if the tribunal says that Uber are the employers and the drivers are employees , then Uber has the right to tell the drivers what hours and days to work eg mon to fri 8.00 to 5.00 or this decision will only benefit the employee and not the employer

surely if the tribunal says that Uber are the employers and the drivers are employees , then Uber has the right to tell the drivers what hours and days to work eg mon to fri 8.00 to 5.00 or this decision will only benefit the employee and not the employer

They already were telling them when to work and then penalising them if they refused, this was one of the drivers' arguments. It's a great ruling for the drivers, My Hermes next.

They already were telling them when to work and then penalising them if they refused, this was one of the drivers' arguments. It's a great ruling for the drivers, My Hermes next.

oh right, thanks for that

I didn`t know that either.

I know someone that does private hire, but also logs on to the uber app and does a bit of work that way as and when. I`m not sure how it all works.

Edited by Janus

Were / are they?

I know a few Uber drivers, and they just work as/when they want... they could work 10 hours for 7 days solid, then have 4 or 5 days off if they wish...

Courier exchange are a similar on line site to uber for courier work,you have to pay subscriptions to be on the site they provide you with leeds for work they do checks on your insurance and licence and vehicle you have to be self employed,you have to meet certain standards of work and they are very strict,this is a very similar set up to uber I'm on courier exchange myself so we will watching what happens next.