Firth Vickers stainless steel, Staybrite works, Weedon Street Tinsley

My father worked as a blacksmith for Firth Vickers from c 1922 to c 1966 when the blacksmith shop was closed and he was made redundant. He was Albert May from Sanderson Street off Brightside Lane. Anyone know of a relative who worked there all those years ago?

I visited that site when I wrote my thesis in 1958/59. It was like the black hole of Calcutta! No wonder he loved the times he spent playing football &cricket at Roe Lane where the sports facilities known as Atlas & Norfolk were second to none. Most of the steel companies had superb sporting facilities for their employees so that was a bonus I suppose!

Would welcome any comments about this old firm.

My grandfather was the works convenor at the Weedon St site. Any more than that, I cant help with as I was only a youngster. He died in '61.

My father worked there briefly as a clerk in the 50's.

My grandfather was the works convenor at the Weedon St site. Any more than that, I cant help with as I was only a youngster. He died in '61.

My father worked there briefly as a clerk in the 50's.

Thank you for this comment. Perhaps they did know each other on the union front as he was a firm believer in the trade union movement. How times have changed! Regards from Co. Durham where he spent many years with me after he retired.

My father, Eric George and his boss Jeff Edwards worked at SLRM in the 60/70's. I think Jeff Edwards might have been connected to FV at Weedon St for a while but am not sure. Jeff is almost 95 and living in Stranraer.

My father, Eric George and his boss Jeff Edwards worked at SLRM in the 60/70's. I think Jeff Edwards might have been connected to FV at Weedon St for a while but am not sure. Jeff is almost 95 and living in Stranraer.

Brilliant! Please forgive my ignorance but what does SLRM represent? It is possibly painfully obvious but I cannot think what it could be!! Thank you.

Hi My father worked in the blacksmith shop at Firth Vickers during the 30s until it closed in 1966. His name was Herbert Crossley and I can certainly remember him mentioning your dad. If I remember correctly, Albert May had a daughter named Pauline - is that you by any chance? Other names I can remember are Harold Cooke and Alf Denial. Alf was blacksmiths mate to my dad. Dad was always talking about what went off in "our shop". Sounded pretty lively at times!

Hi My father worked in the blacksmith shop at Firth Vickers during the 30s until it closed in 1966. His name was Herbert Crossley and I can certainly remember him mentioning your dad. If I remember correctly, Albert May had a daughter named Pauline - is that you by any chance? Other names I can remember are Harold Cooke and Alf Denial. Alf was blacksmiths mate to my dad. Dad was always talking about what went off in "our shop". Sounded pretty lively at times!

Hi there!

That is wonderful news that you can remember my father's name & yes I am Albert May's daughter, Pauline! I am absolutely delighted to have had such a positive response so quickly! What a small world! Thank you so much as you have made my day! I would not have been able to remember his colleagues by name but you mentioning your father's name has definitely brought his name back into my mind as Dad spoke very fondly of those with whom he worked over so many years. Take care.

Regards Pauline Underwood

My dad Jim Moore worked there (& later at site on Shepcote Lane) for 50 years. He was goalkeeper for the team that played in Yorkshire League I think.

My dad Jim Moore worked there (& later at site on Shepcote Lane) for 50 years. He was goalkeeper for the team that played in Yorkshire League I think.

Hi there!

Thank you so much for your interest. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of your Dad but obviously they MUST have worked together.

I do believe that most of the steel companies sports teams played under the umbrella of Sheffield & District Works Sports Association in the years when my Dad was playing his football And cricket from about 1922 to the late '50s!! Yes he played cricket into his 50s. I have three medals which he won playing football in the Raleigh & Haig Leagues in the '20s &each is hall-marked gold & silver. I wear them as necklaces & often get comments on how unusual they are. Would not sell them for the world! Regards Pauline

0312_zps5cdfaf0c.png

My Dad, Joe Rowley, worked at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills in the 1950s. He was also the Secretary for the football club. He died in 1960. Can be seen on the right of pic. (in the mac). The goalie doesn't look to be your Dad on this occasion John. I remember my dad playing in goal on one occasion when the appointed goalie didn't turn up. I was so proud :)

Edited by PeterR

Brilliant! Please forgive my ignorance but what does SLRM represent? It is possibly painfully obvious but I cannot think what it could be!! Thank you.

Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills.

0312_zps5cdfaf0c.png

My Dad, Joe Rowley, worked at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills in the 1950s. He was also the Secretary for the football club. He died in 1960. Can be seen on the right of pic. (in the mac). The goalie doesn't look to be your Dad on this occasion John. I remember my dad playing in goal on one occasion when the appointed goalie didn't turn up. I was so proud :)

I think they had a few teams.

Wasn't the whole sports club called Atlas & Norfolk?