RIP Joe Cocker 22/12/2014

............the only drummer from those days who played with Joe who lives locally is Kenny Slade,not heard anything about it!

The man in the news only two weeks ago is called Rowland Beckett ex Joe Cocker drummer so it said.

The man in the news only two weeks ago is called Rowland Beckett ex Joe Cocker drummer so it said.
.......just read the "Star" report and although I too live in Stannington and once played bass guitar for Joe and knew him fairly well.........I just don't recall a Roland Beckett playing drums for Joe..........that's not to say he did not though!

apart from kenny slade the best drummer i saw was dave memmot with joe , he always played with his neck twisted to one side ,but it must be said hes had a few drummers in the early days

apart from kenny slade the best drummer i saw was dave memmot with joe , he always played with his neck twisted to one side ,but it must be said hes had a few drummers in the early days

His first drummer was a classmate of mine, Steve McKenna, he took over from Joe himself in the early Vance Arnold days. I believe Dave Memmot followed Steve.

did kit all with a little help from his friends.

Watched Joe Cocker on Sky Arts at the weekend, What a fantastic look into the life of Sheffield's only real 'Star'. Played in Joe's band for 3 or 4yrs "Vance Arnold and The Avengers" He was only just eighteen but the first time I saw him 'The Broughton', Attercliffe' (Long Gone).it was obvious he would become famous, even then.

Joe was a very shy lad,polite,curteous and extremely funny, He never stopped tapping, he sang and was the drummer in our first band The Cavaliers'.

I was very sad to see what a troubled life he'd had,but I'm very pleased to be able to say I knew him before Woodstock when he was just a lad from Crookes.

Looking back Joe was a 'musical instrument' in a human body,

The Sky Arts programme was wonderful,I will keep it'recorded' for ever. I could go on all day about him and have promised to write a book about our early days on the clubs and pubs, but have hesitated thinkimg no one would really be interested.

Other books on Joe's life are not all factual, I was there, they weren't.

KEEP ROCKIN MAN, We still love you.

Graham..

write that book my friend jimmy powell from the five dimensions was half way through his book but he died at home friday 13 may last year

---------- Post added 28-04-2017 at 16:53 ----------

so it never got finished . jimmy played at the esquire with joe and rod stewart, joe gave me his own record of jimmys......sugar babe at his home in tasker road at the same time he played me the demo of h. f. m. friends and i saw the letter that lennon and mcartney had sent to congratulate him with the record

did kit all with a little help from his friends.

Have a stab at that sentence again.

Have a stab at that sentence again.

What with, a nife ? lol Sorry about the missing k, it must have gone elsewhere. :D

.......just read the "Star" report and although I too live in Stannington and once played bass guitar for Joe and knew him fairly well.........I just don't recall a Roland Beckett playing drums for Joe..........that's not to say he did not though!

It seems the drummer Rowland Beckett did not play drums for Joe Cocker but for Jimmy Crawford and also did a bit for the Chevellets ( not sure how that's spelt ) according to a family member.

I was in Santa Cruz, Tenerife last week. On rocks on the seafront are painted portraits of scores of famous face one of which was Joe, along with Chopin and Mussolini, Sinatra, Dean Martin. Wish I'd had my camera with me.