Commute (drive) to manchester

I live in stocksbridge and I travel to Manchester via the woodhead about once a month.

This road has too much traffic on it and particularly at the Manchester end. it is

just terribly congested. From Tintwistle to the M67 usualy takes 30 minutes, if i'm lucky; It must be the worst congested road in the country.

When are they going to sort it out? Its long overdue.; My greatest sympathy goes to residents of Glossop and surroundings who must endure it everyday if they are commuting to Manchester and there really isn't any viable alternatives.

I live in stocksbridge and I travel to Manchester via the woodhead about once a month.

This road has too much traffic on it and particularly at the Manchester end. it is

just terribly congested. From Tintwistle to the M67 usualy takes 30 minutes, if i'm lucky; It must be the worst congested road in the country.

When are they going to sort it out? Its long overdue.; My greatest sympathy goes to residents of Glossop and surroundings who must endure it everyday if they are commuting to Manchester and there really isn't any viable alternatives.

There is a (subsidised) frequent rail service to Glossop, the surrounding areas not so much. A colleague of mine actually cycles from Glossop daily which takes around 40 mins.He things it's quicker than driving.

There is a (subsidised) frequent rail service to Glossop, the surrounding areas not so much. A colleague of mine actually cycles from Glossop daily which takes around 40 mins.He things it's quicker than driving.

Is a bike (with an engine) an option? It could be more efficient on fuel and it might be possible to filter/overtake traffic.

Until the road tunnel and HS3 arrive in 50 years' time can you tell me what's the latest on the best way of commuting to Manchester? There still doesn't seem to be a painless way of making the 40 mile trip to the North's biggest job market.

The trains aren't bad but are pretty full and expensive so it's good to have a drive option too.

What about park and ride options? Does anyone drive to Ashton-u-Lyne and get the tram? Or Glossop and get a train? What about somewhere near Stockport station? Getting over the Pennines seems hard enough so it would be good to dump the car somewhere near Mcr with good connections.

Until the road tunnel and HS3 arrive in 50 years' time can you tell me what's the latest on the best way of commuting to Manchester? There still doesn't seem to be a painless way of making the 40 mile trip to the North's biggest job market.

The trains aren't bad but are pretty full and expensive so it's good to have a drive option too.

What about park and ride options? Does anyone drive to Ashton-u-Lyne and get the tram? Or Glossop and get a train? What about somewhere near Stockport station? Getting over the Pennines seems hard enough so it would be good to dump the car somewhere near Mcr with good connections.

I don't commute and very rarely drive to Manchester, thankfully, but on the last couple of times I've done so I've got the tram in from Ashton-u-Lyne. To be honest it was still an infuriatingly slow crawl through Stalybridge and Ashton to get to the tram, but it was worth it just for the satisfaction of sailing up the right hand lane on the queue for Mottram!

There's plenty of free on-street parking within very easy walk of Glossop Station. Small car park at the station but gets full very early. Trains are every 20 mins at peaks and service is very reliable. Service starts at Glossop, so you will get a seat. It gets very full further towards Manchester. Train takes around 35 mins to Piccadilly.

I worked in Manchester for a couple of years and drove to Glossop to pick up the train. If you are doing that commute daily, you may have to accept that on a few days a year over the winter you may need to take the train from Sheffield when it snows over the tops and occasionally you might get stranded in Manchester and have to stay over.

There's plenty of free on-street parking within very easy walk of Glossop Station. Small car park at the station but gets full very early. Trains are every 20 mins at peaks and service is very reliable. Service starts at Glossop, so you will get a seat. It gets very full further towards Manchester. Train takes around 35 mins to Piccadilly.

I worked in Manchester for a couple of years and drove to Glossop to pick up the train. If you are doing that commute daily, you may have to accept that on a few days a year over the winter you may need to take the train from Sheffield when it snows over the tops and occasionally you might get stranded in Manchester and have to stay over.

Does Glossop count as GMPTE-land for the purposes of buying a countywide travelcard?

http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/Documents/PDFMaps/Greater-Manchester-Rail-Tickets-Area-Map.pdf

Does Glossop count as GMPTE-land for the purposes of buying a countywide travelcard?

http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/Documents/PDFMaps/Greater-Manchester-Rail-Tickets-Area-Map.pdf

It is part of the GMPTE rail ticket area but the weekly countywide card is more expensive than the weekly Glossop to Manchester season ticket which includes all the central zone stations tram travel and metro bus.

Edited by biotechpete

I drove it for 5 years (although about 5 miles further), and I did a calculation of the actual costs to me, driving a diesel doing 55-65 mpg.

I worked out I spent per week:

£60 on fuel (although costs have reduced)

£3.85 on servicing

£2.88 on tyres

£5.46 on additional mileage on insurance.

£4.62 parking

TOTAL £15.36/day

Which garage do you use?

I want some of them £2.88 tyres!

Which garage do you use?

I want some of them £2.88 tyres!

I get them from Blackcircles. But i dont buy a new set every week!

Michelin energy savers are £71.50 per corner. The rears last longer than the front but they last longer than a year. These numbers are based on real world spending, averaged out over 5 years of driving the Sheffield-Manchester commute in a Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi.