M1 road works almost completed

I travel from jc33 to 26 everyday and asked the highways agency about the speed limits a couple of weeks ago, their response...

"The 60mph speed limit you have witnessed, is in place to maintain air quality levels throughout this section of the M1. The 60mph limit will be in place for five hours a day, between junctions 28 and 35a, at weekday peak times (07:00-09:00 and 15:00 – 18:00).

We expect the speed limit will be in place for as long as it is required for maintaining air quality levels. As engines improve, particularly diesel engines, we hope that the peak time speed limit can be lifted."

I can quite understand the reason for the 60mph limit 'at weekday peak times (07:00-09:00 and 15:00 – 18:00)'.

However, at the time in question it was Bank Holiday Monday and there was less traffic on the M1 than a normal Sunday. Perhaps the Highways England computers have not been programmed to recognise Bank Holidays. :huh: In the same way that the original Barclays ATM software forgot about there being a 29th Feb in a leap year. :thumbsup:

Some very aggressive drivers

Why has undertaking become seen as the norm?

Some very aggressive drivers

Why has undertaking become seen as the norm?

Why do you think people undertake on motorways captain windup?

Don't get me started on the morons who drive in the 2nd or 3rd lane while the 1st lane is empty...
They're arguably less worse than the (in my experience) far more numerous morons who just trundle down the ramp at 50 or less (even in the absence of any 50 limit) and expect left lane drivers already on the motorway to brake or swerve to let them in, whilst they then begin to accelerate towards 70 (or whatever the limit is) once on the motorway.

Couple of tools like that at Jct 31 northbound this morning, 08:10-ish, one up the other's ar5e, both trundling down the ramp at 45 making not effort whatsoever to account for the artic and van+trailer that were coming up, even though traffic there and around was very light for a Monday morning.

I was following them (for a distance) and they had ample room, both on the ramp and in the left lane on the motorway, to either out-accelerate the upcoming artic and get on the motorway safely ahead of it, or to slow down and match speed to join just behind the van+trailer. What did they do? Drove right to the edge of the ramp and then dropped anchors :rolleyes::loopy::help:

Same story nearly every night on Jct 34 southbound, with the right ramp lane. Traffic (too) bunched up in the left lane arriving from the viaduct, morons on the ramp making no effort to pick a spot in the line of traffic, match speed and join seamlessly, ending up hard braking and standing stationary right at the end of the ramp.

...and then there's the moron racers on the ramp out-accelerating and overtaking you from behind and blocking you as you join. Driving license get gifted in [removed] soap boxes in this country.

Edited by L00b