Laptop help needed

Hi all

I need a laptop and dont know what is good bad or ugly

It needs a HDMI port, Intel i3 or i5 (no atom) and be something with decent battery life that wont let me down and need a charge every hour or two

When its plugged in at home i intend to use it for all my media and plug it into the tv so HDMI port with good enough graphics to play dvds and HDMI content is a must

I cant afford a new one so a good second hand one is the order of the the day but I cant afford hundreds of £

Its needed pretty urgently as my old desktop is dying a quick but painful death

My desktop is old, its a socket 775 Q6800 so the laptop must outperform my desktop in every way.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for or better still a reputable shop or seller who will not fleece me and will sell me what I need?

Thank you in advance.

Dimple :)

Hello Dimple!

Well I'll be completely honest with you. To get laptop that would outperform your desktom would be quite difficult. First, you have Q series CPU in your desktop which is already goes on par with i3 (quad core 775 socked CPU's were quite decent). Laptop that would MATCH the performance would cost around £300. I think better shot would be to upgrade your desktop with new components, with AMD A8 or A10 series APU, which are quite cheap and has graphics compute units built that performs just like low end graphics card (basically there would be no need for graphics card, unless you'd start playing videogames). We had a few customers who upgraded their old computers with us to a faster CPU, SSD, motherboard and RAM, typically such upgrade would go around £200-250. But we could be more accurate if we would make "shopping list" that matches your budget. We had built over a 100 computers from scratch and upgraded another 20-30 computers and have impressive experience regarding custom computer builds, modifications and upgrades. You can pop down to our shop to discuss this matter and we can arrange a free quote for you.

Thanks

The upgrade route you suggest eHallam requires a motherboard change. When you start replacing motherboards, processors, RAM and HDD as you suggest in your post it seems a bit pointless. Might as well just buy a new PC as your pretty much building one from scratch anyway.

Hello Dimple!

Well I'll be completely honest with you. To get laptop that would outperform your desktom would be quite difficult. First, you have Q series CPU in your desktop which is already goes on par with i3 (quad core 775 socked CPU's were quite decent). Laptop that would MATCH the performance would cost around £300. I think better shot would be to upgrade your desktop with new components, with AMD A8 or A10 series APU, which are quite cheap and has graphics compute units built that performs just like low end graphics card (basically there would be no need for graphics card, unless you'd start playing videogames). We had a few customers who upgraded their old computers with us to a faster CPU, SSD, motherboard and RAM, typically such upgrade would go around £200-250. But we could be more accurate if we would make "shopping list" that matches your budget. We had built over a 100 computers from scratch and upgraded another 20-30 computers and have impressive experience regarding custom computer builds, modifications and upgrades. You can pop down to our shop to discuss this matter and we can arrange a free quote for you.

Thanks

Classic!

OP needs a laptop, post suggests upgrading a desktop!

*scratches head*

Classic!

*scratches head*

Well, we did said that such laptop, that would go on par with his old desktop would already cost around £300. In OP's description I found that he/she would be using computer at home anyway. Therefore we suggested upgrade/rebuild old desktop computer. This option would be more pocket friendly and offer great performance (compare laptop for £300 and desktop that you can build for the same price). It was suggestion to reconsider about getting the laptop. We're not blind, we can read the OP's message, we suggested what we think is right. It's entirely up to OP to take our advice or ignore it. Your following commentary ignores OP's question, and focuses on my answer... Strange...

*scratches head*

Hello Dimple!

Thanks

Thanks for that.

Sorry I should have said that although I will be using it at home too Ill mainly be mobile with it thats why I need good battery life.

Thanks for the upgrade advice though but I really want to stick to finding a good i5 laptop so any ideas in that area id be really greatful

Thanks again :)

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 17:37 ----------

The upgrade route you suggest eHallam requires a motherboard change. When you start replacing motherboards, processors, RAM and HDD as you suggest in your post it seems a bit pointless. Might as well just buy a new PC as your pretty much building one from scratch anyway.

I think it was my original post that caused the confusion I didnt really state that I was intending to use the laptop out of the house too :)

---------- Post added 29-04-2017 at 17:38 ----------

Classic!

*scratches head*

:hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 01-05-2017 at 00:32 ----------

Still looking for some help with a laptop if anyone can point me in the right direction ?