1960's Sheffield rock pubs

we went to the grapes about 1963ish. first pub (I believe) to have a new invention called discotheque lighting. remember tt, all the bits of fluff on your jacket lit up. it was absolutely amazing. bit old hat now.

we went to the grapes about 1963ish. first pub (I believe) to have a new invention called discotheque lighting. remember tt, all the bits of fluff on your jacket lit up. it was absolutely amazing. bit old hat now.

Yeah. I used to wear a light grey sports jacket to that place, when they got that lighting lol

---------- Post added 20-04-2017 at 22:48 ----------

The grapes at dalton,when you parked in car park the local lads asked for

"2 bob" to mind your car for you,it was best to pay it.

They can't have made much, as only one of us had access to any cars in my times going in there, and that was his dad's. I can't see a single one of us paying, even if we had got our own cars anyway. :cool:

Edited by TORONTONY

Toro tony is right, the Travellers was demolished to make way for the whetstone,

My best mate was the Forman bricklayer on the job, a company called Robsons was the builder, in 1972.

We use to make our way from the Albert at barkers pool, then Wapentake, Nelson ( down stairs ) , Pump Tavern, Travellers, Hermitage, then back up the Moore to he Zing Vaa Chinese restaurant for a curry.

I also remember the Claymore, and Mulbery Tavern.

Does anyone remember a group called Glen Dale and the Candies, Glen was ex Fortunes, I first saw them at the Blue Bell Hackenthorp , and followed them around the working men's clubs in Sheffield.

Mick.

There were quite a few notorious pubs outside the Sheffield immediate area that had rock bands on. We used to go to the Squirrel in Dinnington, the Turf in Hoyland, The Ball Inn in Bramley, The Grapes in Dalton, the Two Palfreys in Doncaster, plus lots of others when we didn't feel like going downtown.

I hope I didn't imply that the place I was asking about was 'notorious', just if any one remembered it or went there.

I hope I didn't imply that the place I was asking about was 'notorious', just if any one remembered it or went there.

Not at all lol. I actually worked at or near Crow Edge when I was a contractor at Hepworth Iron Works in the mid 70's. When on nights we sometimes went out to a pub, for our main break, (extended) ;) but can't remember the name or the exact location. It may have been a rock pub though, as the juke box was really loud and there was a small stage.

Edited by TORONTONY

Not at all lol. I actually worked at or near Crow Edge when I was a contractor at Hepworth Iron Works in the mid 70's. When on nights we sometimes went out to a pub, for our main break, (extended) ;) but can't remember the name or the exact location. It may have been a rock pub though, as the juke box was really loud and there was a small stage.

Thanks Mr.T. I also worked at Hepworth 'Iron' as a contractor sometimes, tho' didn't go to any nearby hostelries. As for 'Iron', didn't they make industrial ceramic piping ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

Yeah. I used to wear a light grey sports jacket to that place, when they got that lighting lol

They can't have made much, as only one of us had access to any cars in my times going in there, and that was his dad's. I can't see a single one of us paying, even if we had got our own cars anyway. :cool:

We lived in sheffield so had to go by car,i seem to remember lots of cars in car park.

Thanks Mr.T. I also worked at Hepworth 'Iron' as a contractor sometimes, tho' didn't go to any nearby hostelries. As for 'Iron', didn't they make industrial ceramic piping ?

Yes, ceramic pipes it was, the company was located next to a large quarry, Remember the workforce were almost all Sikhs and there were so many different coloured turbans lol. Whilst working on an overhead crane my workmate commented "it's like looking at a snooker table down there", referring to the multi- coloured turbans seen from our viewing angle ;) They also had special toilets for those guys, i.e. no bowl, standing room only lol.

---------- Post added 23-04-2017 at 11:42 ----------

We lived in sheffield so had to go by car,i seem to remember lots of cars in car park.

Well we lived in Brinsworth, so 2 short bus rides was good enough. We did go by car to most of the other out of town pubs except The Ball at Bramley as that was a one bus job( 87). I knew a lot of Dalton area lads as they came to Brinsworth Bop, so they would not have bothered us had we been in a car.

The Albert was a great rock pub. The Yorkshireman on Burgess St and the Nelson.