Sheffield Forum
Your message here

To ěl Tap Takeover @ Shakespeares - 3/3/17

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

04-04-2017, 13:24   #21
SteelCityAle

Total Posts: 633
ok 'takeover' is a slight misnomer, but no brewery is in a position to 'takeover' the taps except in a tied house.

Why would you want several beers from the same brewery? Well, with many breweries now you can have a huge range of styles from one brewery. Can you name an Omnipollo tied house round here? Or To Ol? Or Weird Beard? No. When it's a brewery you don't see often and/or one that does a huge range of interesting beers, what's wrong with a one-off line-up of a number of their beers?

Away from TTOs, most good pubs aim to have a range of styles, e.g. there will be a permanent stout line, a permanent 'stronger' beer line, etc
21-04-2017, 07:38   #22
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 2,703
Maybe most good pubs aim to have a range of styles but some are better at it than others.

The Rising Sun at Fulwood has, ooh, how many? about 12 beer pumps I would hazard a guess. It mainly has it's own Abbeydale beers on there, perhaps 3 or 4 guests.

And what an uninspiring range of ale the Abbeydale Brewery has. All these different incarnations of beers with slight differences - the majority around 4.5%. Deception, Daily Bread, Moonshine...etc. I can't honestly say I like many of them. The Absolution offers a bit more flavour at 5.3% - but the rest of them...not for me.

I only go to that pub on the hope that they might have got a guest beer on that is a bit different to the bland range of their own beers. I'm often disappointed and just settle for a half of Absolution - then go elsewhere.

I was pleased to see, on a recent visit, that they had some J33 Stateside Pale on. Only 5% but a very nice tasting beer and superior to anything on the other 8 or 9 pumps from Abbeydale.

I think the most important thing though is the person managing the place. If they know their stuff then they should be able to a) keep the beer well and serve it in tip-top condition and b) manage the range on offer so there is always a bit of something for everyone, Pale, Dark, Bitter, Stout, Low/Medium/High strength.

Last edited by DerbyTup; 21-04-2017 at 07:42.
21-04-2017, 11:39   #23
SteelCityAle

Some of Abbeydale's one-offs are very interesting indeed... though TBF you don't often see them

There's a big difference though between a 'Tap Takeover' and a tied house that (understandably) has a large permanent range from that brewery.

Agree that in any pub, tied or not, variety is key... 15 years ago a pub with 12 pumps would probably have 10 very similar brown beers and a token pale and stout. now the balance has (fortunately) shifted so that the pales make up the majority. Personally I like the model seen in many American brewpubs, where even just from the 'house' brewery there'll be a range including pales, brown ale, IPAs, DIPAs, stouts, impy stouts, sours, fruit beer, etc etc
21-04-2017, 12:41   #24
Lurgh Mor

Total Posts: 177
I miss the Scottish and Newcastle chain pubs. Wonder why?
21-04-2017, 13:09   #25
SteelCityAle

curse those pesky Beer Orders making it harder for you to get your Tartan fix...
Reply To Topic