Dronfield Bypass - roadworks

Ah another regular Bypass user, as evident by your comment about red lights.

Yes.

To and from Sheepbridge Ind Est on a regular basis.

And if we're feeling petty, why not call the bypass by its correct name, Unstone-Dronfield Bypass?

---------- Post added 15-01-2017 at 21:17 ----------

Accept it and move on.

Perhaps they can't move on, It'll cost them valuable time.....

I travel this way to work from Chesterfield to Sheffield and then back again. They are doing bridge repair work but there is no indication as to when it will be finished. I think the problem is, people driving like maniacs, trying to get in before other drivers, before the lane goes into one. There is ample signage and the speed limit reduces to 50mph and then finally to 30mph to give people time. People just need to stop rushing about so flipping much and calm down a bit! I always try to get in the lane as soon as I can and start slowing my car down but I always have some plonker tailgating me at the 50mph sign and I just understand why, when there's plenty of warning and it's not like they're going to really get anywhere faster! I don't find this a problem in the morning at all, in fact in some ways, I'm actually quite glad of these repair works because it does, I think, help to slow some drivers down a bit, who probably would otherwise be driving at 95 mph or above! The road is bad in general and majority of drivers on there are bonkers and drive well over the speed limit, regardless of weather conditions or lighting. I think there needs to be speed cameras on there or regular police presence to calm it down a bit! One day there will be a fatal accident on there, I just hope I'm not the one involved!

sorry started thread in error

Edited by dillm

Hi i have been discussing The roadworks on Dronfield By pass - basically the discussion was how a lot of drivers exceed the temporary speed limit In my case last Thursday; whilst travelling from Whit Moor towards the Sheepbridge) turn off (respecting the temporary 30 limit) vehicles passed me at a least 50mph

repeating the journey today made me wonder if the various road works have ever been enforced

Edited by dillm

Hi i have been discussing The roadworks on Dronfield By pass - basically the discussion was how a lot of drivers exceed the temporary speed limit In my case last Thursday; whilst travelling from Whit Moor towards the Sheepbridge) turn off (respecting the temporary 30 limit) vehicles passed me at a least 50mph

repeating the journey today made me wonder if the various road works have ever been enforced

Well, no they haven't, is the short answer. Normally on a dual carriageway, or motorway, any temporary speed restrictions are strictly enforced and you run a high risk of being caught on camera if you go more than 10% over the temporary speed limit. This is a very short stretch of road works and probably not worth erecting speed cameras for (or "safety cameras" to give them their police name).

I must say, I've driven through many times, often at peak times, and I can't say I've witnessed any serious hold-ups at all. I think what the OP is actually wanting to make a point about is the way things like this are done better in the Netherlands. And I think he/she gives a good example. I like that "zipper" campaign idea - things like this can change the way people think about their driving. But maybe that should be the focus of the thread then?

In terms of alternative routes - it's hard to advise on that unless we know a start and end point for the journey. It appears from the location stated on the OP's profile, that the end point is Hillsborough. If that is the case then I think there will be far worse hold ups to come between Meadowhead roundabout and Hillsboro than on the Dronfield by-pass. It would be interesting to know how he/she avoids the tailbacks on Chesterfield Road Woodseats or Penistone Road - because both those stretches are very busy at peak times.

If I was trying to get from Chesterfield say, to Hillsboro, I think I'd probably head up to Barlow rather than taking the A61 by pass. Then up to Owler Bar and head towards Fox House, turning right onto Stony Ridge, to bring me out on the A625. Heading towards Sheffield I'd take Sheephill Road to bring me out at Ringinglow opposite the Norfolk Arms pub. Left there and first right would put me on Fulwood Lane and from there it's onto Lodge Moor, via Blackbrook Road, then Lodge Lane to Rivelin and Malin Bridge.

This obviously isn't as direct a route as just going straight down the A61 into Sheffield. But you'd be continually moving and the scenery is beautiful (if that's any consolation?). Also, the travel time, at peak times, would probably be shorter. You'd have to weigh up whether the fuel costs would be higher - taking into account that crawling around in city traffic can cost more than being continually on the move in glorious open countryside.