Obscure films you love

La Cabina (" the telephone box") short Spanish film from the early seventies freaked me out as a child and I can still remember it to this day ,as a result I always used to keep telephone kiosks wedged open.

My Winnipeg - a fake documentary about a Canadain City. I saw it at the Showroom a years back and it completely took me by surprise. Must have seen it about ten times since.

It took me ages to track down La Cabina as an adult. I too saw it on telly as a young child and it stayed with me for years. It's every bit as good as you remember it, even though there's an element to it that only fully works once.

It's name was lost to me and eventually, I couldn't work out whether or not it was a nightmare, a product of my febrile childhood imagination or an actual short film.

One of the things that makes it so striking is the physical comedy. No more should be said.

Hard Candy

(And Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.)

Bubba Ho-Tep

Elvis & JFK in a retirement home being hunted by an Ancient Egyptian mummy

Oh and jabberwocky. Max wall as king Bruno the questionable. Wat Tyler the inventor of the inverted firkin. And don't forget the flying hogfish!

Bagdad Café starring Jack Palance (made in 1988). Despite the title the film is not set in the middle east but refers to a truck stop/motel in southern California. A weird, quirky, bizarre (and I think very good) film with some real peculiar characters. The film has one of the best soundtrack lead (eerie) songs one is likely to hear.

just found out about this short film, made and based in Northern Ireland during the troubles, its about punks, skinheads

not bad (13 minutes long)

Aoife McArdle’s Every Breaking Wave is a short film based on the U2 song of the same name. Set on the streets early 80s Northern Ireland, Every Breaking Wave is built around themes of emotional abandon and the uncertainty of romantic relationships.

La Cabina (" the telephone box") short Spanish film from the early seventies freaked me out as a child and I can still remember it to this day ,as a result I always used to keep telephone kiosks wedged open.

I remember when this was shown as part of a double bill on the BBC on Saturday night. Can't remember which other film it was paired with (perhaps The Ghoul, or The Crazies). This would've been in the late 1970s.

Like you it terrified me!

---------- Post added 29-05-2017 at 16:15 ----------

from beyond the grave ( 1974 ) for an obscure film take a look at the cast list, Peter Cushing, Ian Bannen, Diana Dors, Ian Ogilvy, and the brilliant Donald and Angela Pleasence.

The first segment in that film, 'The Mirror' starring David Warner really terrified me. Pity the other stories weren't as good!

Demons 1 & 2, for some reason, I just love

80s trashy horrors.

Demons 1 & 2, for some reason, I just love

80s trashy horrors.

Love Demons - still got it on vhs somewhere.

for me

Bad Taste- Cult horror film from New Zealand - Derek's don't quit

Santa Sangre - Weird Mexican film I watched back in the day and still have

Wrestling with Shadows - went to the European premiere of this at the Showroom and still think its up there with Beyond the Mat.