Snake Pass/Woodhead closures

As a regular commuter to Manchester, I do occasionally wish there was a sign closer than Ladybower, however on the occasion it has been closed, instead of rerouting for the Woodhead, I generally head towards Buxton and join the A6. Much more scenic anyway.

As a regular commuter to Manchester, I do occasionally wish there was a sign closer than Ladybower, however on the occasion it has been closed, instead of rerouting for the Woodhead, I generally head towards Buxton and join the A6. Much more scenic anyway.

I only ever use the Chapel en le Frith/Pot Shrigley route these days, much more relaxed and scenic.

I only ever use the Chapel en le Frith/Pot Shrigley route these days, much more relaxed and scenic.

Indeed and no Derbyshire police trying to fleece the motorist.

They'd rather set up camp on the A57 in the only real safe overtaking spot and catch people breaking the speed limit for a few seconds to overtake the 40mph brigade.

They'd rather set up camp on the A57 in the only real safe overtaking spot and catch people breaking the speed limit for a few seconds to overtake the 40mph brigade.

I can assure you that speed cameras and or police speed traps are placed on that route. I have seen them in Hope, Castleton, Rushup Edge, Whaley Bridge, Kettleshulme, Adlington, and Dean Row.

If drivers don't break the speed limit then they can put speed cameras every two yards and it won't matter.

They don't fleece intelligent drivers.

What Sheffield needs is a large gantry indicator sign nearer than Ladybower!

Maybe one at the bottom of Manchester Road? Or where the A57 meets Rivelin Valley Road?

I find checking this useful:

https://twitter.com/snakepasswatch?lang=en

Its usually reasonably up to date.

An excellent website, newish (to me, at least), with up-to-date traffic information in lieu of the BBC Travel website [dec'd] is

GLOSSOP ONLINE at http://glossop.online/traffic/ It covers not only A57/A628 but M60/M67 and trains.

I saw this yesterday and have to say a big thank you to you for posting this excellent website.

I travelled to Manchester yesterday and the info supplied by this site regarding The Tour of Yorkshire cycle race was invaluable.

Once again thanks !!:thumbsup:

If drivers don't break the speed limit then they can put speed cameras every two yards and it won't matter.

Will you still feel smug when the A57 is a 30mph limit with cameras every 2 yards? Or will you finally understand that setting a speed limit doesn't make the speed limit appropriate?

Its a vicious circle. The speed limit has been reduced because of crashes where people have probably exceeded the limit and will continue to do so because they treat the road like a racetrack.

Its a vicious circle. The speed limit has been reduced because of crashes where people have probably exceeded the limit and will continue to do so because they treat the road like a racetrack.

The report created for the council regarding the A57 from Sheffield to the Ladybower said that there were NO grounds for reducing the speed limit.

So they reduced it.

I'm confident that the reduced speed limit will have no impact at all on the accident rate (or severity) both on that section and across the main pass section.

It will however habituate people to breaking the speed limit.

There's always one holier than thou muppet isn't there. Bet you've never done 31mph in your life or indeed ever broken a law at all, must be tough being so perfect.