Grimesthorpe Part 3

Grimesthorpe Rd ran from Gower St as already said, but it finished at Grimesthorpe School, that area was like a crossroads where Carlisle Rd, Earl Marshal Rd, Upwell Lane, and Carlisle Rd met.

Before Petre St was extended to Grimesthorpe, from Botham St to Hunsley St was called Ludlow St, but that was long before any of us were born, I will put a map on the Grimesthorpe Facebook page, as I don't know how to put pics on here thesedays.

What about Chambers Lane running from Upwell Street to Upwell Lane.

Grimesthorpe Rd ran from Gower St as already said, but it finished at Grimesthorpe School, that area was like a crossroads where Carlisle Rd, Earl Marshal Rd, Upwell Lane, and Carlisle Rd met.

Before Petre St was extended to Grimesthorpe, from Botham St to Hunsley St was called Ludlow St, but that was long before any of us were born, I will put a map on the Grimesthorpe Facebook page, as I don't know how to put pics on here thesedays.

Yes skippy, I saw the map on Facebook and was surprised that the Alexandra and Bowling Green pubs plus the building that became Grimesthorpe WM Club existed before Petre Street. Thanks.

What about Chambers Lane running from Upwell Street to Upwell Lane.

That is on the old map too Jean J.

Hi to one and all - My mother was born in Chambers Lane, maiden name Chamberlain, it seems to me that a girl that I went to two schools with her last name being Wall lived in the lane. JeanJ our mutual friend Shirley (Moughton) Yeatman worked at Homeric in the lane. fleetwood

Edited by fleetwood
Correction

My Aunt and Uncle lived on Chambers Lane.Jim and Florrie Littlewood with there daughters Barbara and Norma

Anybody know what happened to Mr.Collins, the junk shop chap at Grimesthorpe, after he moved to that shop opposite the Victory ? He seemed to have been around forever, a good 30 years, at least. He always reminded me of Peter Cushing.

Anybody know what happened to Mr.Collins, the junk shop chap at Grimesthorpe, after he moved to that shop opposite the Victory ? He seemed to have been around forever, a good 30 years, at least. He always reminded me of Peter Cushing.

There is someone on the 'Grimesthorpe' sight-maybe Dennis' daughter- that replied to that question. I think he passed away in a nursing home, he was perhaps in his 80's as I first came across him around 1960 then on Carlisle Road.

Thanks stpetre, I thought he would have passed on by now, but just wondered when he ceased trading after all those years.

He once told us kids, looking at a copy of the 'RAF Flying Revue' magazine, that he'd been a Flight Commander, to which a customer whispered to us " The only flights he's commanded were pigeons !" . He was certainly a local character. RIP.

Thanks stpetre, I thought he would have passed on by now, but just wondered when he ceased trading after all those years.

He once told us kids, looking at a copy of the 'RAF Flying Revue' magazine, that he'd been a Flight Commander, to which a customer whispered to us " The only flights he's commanded were pigeons !" . He was certainly a local character. RIP.

Would never let us kids into the back room,always full of men though funny that.Must have been reading the western comics.:hihi:

I can't remember him selling dirty rainmacs, but there were always plenty in the back room !

Very quiet on our thread,hope everyones well.