The dropped kerb/vehicular access thread- all queries in here please

Hi all,

I've recently asked the council for permission for a dropped kerb. Trouble is, I have a British Gas sign on my front wall so the council advised I would need to contact British Gas to discuss moving this before permission is granted.

I have contacted British Gas who advised I need to speak with the National Grid. I therefore contacted the National Grid who advised I would need to speak with British Gas..............brilliant!

I assume the sign is some sort of marker with instructions on where the gas pipes are located. It seems to be a pretty old sign, most likely dating back to when my house was built in 1953!

I can't work out how to attach a picture here but the details on the sign are:

British Gas East Midlands

63 MM SV

215 LP

8.9M

Has anybody else had to deal with something like this, and if so do you have any ideas on what to do?

I'm pretty much out of ideas!!

Thanks

I would guess that there is a 63mm internal diameter, low-pressure natural gas pipe running beneath the footpath or road (have you got your 'searches' from when you bought the house, it should be visible on the services plan). As far as I'm aware, the distribution network in Sheffield is wholely owned by the National Grid (with the gas supplier, e.g. British Gas, only owning the gas within the pipes), so they would presumably be the ones that may need reminding of the location of a valve, in this case.

My advice would be to push National Grid on the matter, though I haven't had to deal with this sort of problem before, so can't offer anything further.

Can someone advise me about having a drive put on the front of my house. The curb will need dropping. Do I need to get in touch with the council. Someone has told me you can only use council approved workers. Is this true.

My neighbour in a bought council house next door has had a driveway built.

However getting home tonight her builders have installed the kerbs ready for a dropped kerb measuring 8.1metres.

Is this width legal?

Most houses ive seen and worked on are 5.4metres wide.

The same builders?

Only approved contractors can install dropped kerbs, with council approval obviously.

I'm not sure if the length is fixed, or if you ask for the length you wish?

As the title says?

Cant find it on sheff council website?!!

Does anyone know

I live in a new house, i have just looked at my dropped kerb, my drive and my neighbours drive are side by side and the dropped kerb measures 24ft for both drive 's 8 dropped kerbs = 8mts for both drive's

I know a house which already has a dropped kerb which has been there for as long as I can remember, where there's a large gate leading to his property. There's recently been one of those big "H" white lines painted across it - do these actually have a legal status or are they just a "warning"?

The thing is, the owner never actually uses that gate for a vehicle - you can even see a load of garden furniture set up behind it through the gap at the bottom which has been there for literally years. So they can't claim that they need to keep it clear for vehicular access.

I know a house which already has a dropped kerb which has been there for as long as I can remember, where there's a large gate leading to his property. There's recently been one of those big "H" white lines painted across it - do these actually have a legal status or are they just a "warning"?

The thing is, the owner never actually uses that gate for a vehicle - you can even see a load of garden furniture set up behind it through the gap at the bottom which has been there for literally years. So they can't claim that they need to keep it clear for vehicular access.

This will tell you

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/resident/parking-roads/roads-highways-and-pavements/road-markings-and-signage/road-markings-for-vehicle-crossings/

Hi all,

I've recently asked the council for permission for a dropped kerb. Trouble is, I have a British Gas sign on my front wall so the council advised I would need to contact British Gas to discuss moving this before permission is granted.

I have contacted British Gas who advised I need to speak with the National Grid. I therefore contacted the National Grid who advised I would need to speak with British Gas..............brilliant!

I assume the sign is some sort of marker with instructions on where the gas pipes are located. It seems to be a pretty old sign, most likely dating back to when my house was built in 1953!

I can't work out how to attach a picture here but the details on the sign are:

British Gas East Midlands

63 MM SV

215 LP

8.9M

Has anybody else had to deal with something like this, and if so do you have any ideas on what to do?

I'm pretty much out of ideas!!

Thanks

I did my drive almost thirty years ago dropping the kerb and doing the concreting. Before it could be done though the council sent someone round to check that there were no telegraph poles or streetlights near to where the dropped kerb and drive across the verge was going to be. Do the council not send anyone round to inspect the proposed crossing now?

Has your street been resurfaced yet?

A friend in Barnsely had a drop kerb put in at same time the street was resurfaced, cost was a fair bit less as it was essentially not much extra work to do.

I'm considering applying for a dropped kerb with SCC who charge a £95 fee. Before I part with any cash, does anyone have any recommendations for companies who can carry out the work? I'm aware of the approved contractor list, but don't know anything about any of the companies on the list. Also does anyone have any rough ideas on costs for the works to be carried out. I'm thinking of a single entry dropped kerb.