Pedestrian accident Hillsborough nr Costa Coffee 21/03/2017

I hope no one was seriously hurt.... then again I saw a woman driving a car up here on Wednesday with a cigarette in her right hand and a mobile phone in her left....

The problem is people don't encroach on a junction and they suffer the wraith of the traffic behind them for not moving forward when the lights are green and then when they do...

I hope no one was seriously hurt.... then again I saw a woman driving a car up here on Wednesday with a cigarette in her right hand and a mobile phone in her left....

The problem is people don't encroach on a junction and they suffer the wraith of the traffic behind them for not moving forward when the lights are green and then when they do...

Which is why I think a full yellow hatched box junction would help, as it would support and give confidence to drivers to wait at the first lights and be less likely to be intimidated by drivers behind them. And the drivers who would normally try and intimidate those in front might actually begin to understand they are in the wrong.

The lights coming into Hillsborough are a way back from the crossing near Rawson. If you go through these lights on green there is a light on the opposite side of the road as the road filters round. If this has change/ is about to change or there's a build up of traffic. You can safely hold back before the hatched area at the bottom of Forbes road this allows the traffic to flow from Forbes road and you not to go through crossing. Many people miss the light I think it's bad if you Don t know this area. I 've seen loads of near misses in Hillsborough but this crossing as caused a few problems over years so I think it needs looking at how it could be improved.

If you're talking about here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4017354,-1.4994094,3a,75y,306.11h,85.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKyZzASJX7e3AlgXyAIFj_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You shouldn't stop where that taxi is (or before it) because the "2nd" set of lights change. Those lights are part of the same set, and once committed you should finish driving through. Which also means you shouldn't enter the area until you can exit it.

The lights coming into Hillsborough are a way back from the crossing near Rawson. If you go through these lights on green there is a light on the opposite side of the road as the road filters round. If this has change/ is about to change or there's a build up of traffic. You can safely hold back before the hatched area at the bottom of Forbes road this allows the traffic to flow from Forbes road and you not to go through crossing. Many people miss the light I think it's bad if you Don t know this area. I 've seen loads of near misses in Hillsborough but this crossing as caused a few problems over years so I think it needs looking at how it could be improved.

Just to add to the confusion, the yellow box juction hatching has been covered by the green lane covering.

If you're talking about here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4017354,-1.4994094,3a,75y,306.11h,85.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKyZzASJX7e3AlgXyAIFj_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You shouldn't stop where that taxi is (or before it) because the "2nd" set of lights change. Those lights are part of the same set, and once committed you should finish driving through. Which also means you shouldn't enter the area until you can exit it.

You're right Cyclone, but I would think that anyone who doesn't know this bit of road well, and many who do, don't realise these two sets of lights are connected, they're so far apart, it's really not obvious at all. Even if you did know, it would go against the grain to continue through if the second set goes to red.

Whichever way you look at it, it's badly designed and confusing. With the best will in the world, people make mistakes, and bad road design compounds this.

Edited by Olive

Agreed, it's not really standard and it's confusing.