Sheffield Testing Works

I can't believe I have come across this thread, so many familiar names and memories. I am Dave's wife and I am sure he would be pleased he has been remembered fondly even sawing off the end of his finger, crickey that was a long time ago. I know that in the short time since Dave died the Company has changed a lot but I know He will always be a part of Sheffield Testing and will of course still be doing his daily walkabout keeping an eye on you.

Was there a guy there by the name of Tony Eyre ?? seem to recall he said he had worked there for a while ?

Grey Eminence

not heard of him, what time period?

doing a bit of "5S" on the 200 Ton yesterday I found a set of wedges dave made in 1981 and some brian made back in 1965 for the old 50 ton machine! makes me proud to have worked with these people when i'm still using stuff they made 30-50 years ago!

Just come across this forum, i worked at the testing works from aprox 1974 for about 4 years. I worked in the machine shop first on a shaper then on a lathe making the rings with Dave Tame. Remember loads of names from there Eba goodison ( gaffer ) jonny Walker, Harry Pinhorn, in the machine shop Bill finlay Dennis Mate wilf gibson, Alan Walpole, oggy in the test house. Alan Marshall, loads more have to have a think. Used to go to the Brown Cow on the wicker at dinner couple of pints game of darts, and sometimes up to the Manchester. Anybody else work there around that time

---------- Post added 28-02-2015 at 21:11 ----------

hi 200 ton.

yes i was there when dave took the end off finger, we used to work overtime together the odd sat afternoon if they got behind making proofing rings.when not doing overtime we used to finnish at dinner and have a couple of pints in frechville working mens club (now the sherwood)

Who are you owd man im sure you will know me

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 19:33 ----------

now known as 'element materials technology' since the foreigners took us over. john hastings is still here. brian ancliff is retiring in a couple of weeks, think he's been here since about 1965.

funnily enough i'm the poor bugger who has to prep and test those big heavy wire ropes, usually about 6-7ft not 12.

Brian was there when i started in 1975 ish, i wonder if hes got used to the place ?

Just come across this forum, i worked at the testing works from aprox 1974 for about 4 years. I worked in the machine shop first on a shaper then on a lathe making the rings with Dave Tame. Remember loads of names from there Eba goodison ( gaffer ) jonny Walker, Harry Pinhorn, in the machine shop Bill finlay Dennis Mate wilf gibson, Alan Walpole, oggy in the test house. Alan Marshall, loads more have to have a think. Used to go to the Brown Cow on the wicker at dinner couple of pints game of darts, and sometimes up to the Manchester. Anybody else work there around that time

---------- Post added 28-02-2015 at 21:11 ----------

Who are you owd man im sure you will know me

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 19:33 ----------

Brian was there when i started in 1975 ish, i wonder if hes got used to the place ?

hi dave 3434

I have sent you a pm, sorry read your pm, before read this post

now known as 'element materials technology' since the foreigners took us over. john hastings is still here. brian ancliff is retiring in a couple of weeks, think he's been here since about 1965.

funnily enough i'm the poor bugger who has to prep and test those big heavy wire ropes, usually about 6-7ft not 12.

Brian Ancliff AKA Andy worked with him 74 onwards

End of an era as the lab moves from Nursery Street to Magna way

hi jagsthecat

what it like at magna way, just dos not seem right moving all that way

Not been to the new place at Magna Owd Man but by all accounts it's a cracking facility

just been talking to wilf gibson worked at testing works when i was ther 76 to 78 ish he worked on the shaping machines he remembers most workers there can anybody recall the name

i can remember the name, i may be confusing him with some one else but did he have a lump removed from his shoulder, seem to remember me and dave tame visiting him in the old infirmary on west street 

On 10/01/2013 at 05:11, victormh said:

Was there a guy there by the name of Tony Eyre ?? seem to recall he said he had worked there for a while ?

Grey Eminence

There was a Tony Eyre who worked at Non Destructive Testers on Maltravers Road.