Miller and Carter coming soon..

Nice to see that place changing, as a pub/restaurant and carvery it was dire.

I'll give it a try but prefer to support independents so I'll stick to La Vaca at Broomhill.

Edit - In fact I won't be going at all - no pricing on their online menu.

Oh boy! You just summed up why there are so few good places in Sheffield. "ARR MUCH IS IT?". :roll:

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 09:11 ----------

How good are stakes compared to La Vaca?

La Vaca is excellent, but just one thing should improved.

In 40 oz stake, 1/3 of stake is a heavy bone, making

40 oz stake hardly a challenge. It's better to order

2x 20 oz stake. I will definitely test this one, I liked

the Toby carvery on this place

I'm not over-impressed with La Vaca tbh. I know Sheffield is desperately low on choice and I have been there 2 or maybe 3 times with different folks but I wouldn't go there of my own choice. It's more like a cramped little cafe than a restaurant and I didn't think the steaks were particularly good or generous in size. I like the char-grilled aspect though.

For years now we've been venturing off up the motorway to get good steak at J38 of the M1 - at the Old Post Office. There's nothing like it in Sheffield - they bring out the meat on a big wooden board so you can see what the different cuts look like before you order. And you choose which type of steak you want - rump, rib-eye, sirloin, fillet...then you just instruct them to put the knife on it wherever you want - and have as big or as small a steak as you like. Sheffielder's would love it, because it's not expensive - we love it because the steaks are excellent quality and they've also got an extensive menu apart from that, so we can take the kids and there's plenty for them to choose from - my wife likes fresh fish and there's usually a few specials on each day as well.

I'm planning to give Miller and Carter a try. If it offers good steaks in pleasant restaurant surroundings it may have a chance of doing well in Sheffield - especially in that area where a few more people may appreciate it and not run a mile at having to spend £20 per head of a meal.

Oh boy! You just summed up why there are so few good places in Sheffield. "ARR MUCH IS IT?". :roll:

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 09:11 ----------

I'm not over-impressed with La Vaca tbh. I know Sheffield is desperately low on choice and I have been there 2 or maybe 3 times with different folks but I wouldn't go there of my own choice. It's more like a cramped little cafe than a restaurant and I didn't think the steaks were particularly good or generous in size. I like the char-grilled aspect though.

For years now we've been venturing off up the motorway to get good steak at J38 of the M1 - at the Old Post Office. There's nothing like it in Sheffield - they bring out the meat on a big wooden board so you can see what the different cuts look like before you order. And you choose which type of steak you want - rump, rib-eye, sirloin, fillet...then you just instruct them to put the knife on it wherever you want - and have as big or as small a steak as you like. Sheffielder's would love it, because it's not expensive - we love it because the steaks are excellent quality and they've also got an extensive menu apart from that, so we can take the kids and there's plenty for them to choose from - my wife likes fresh fish and there's usually a few specials on each day as well.

I'm planning to give Miller and Carter a try. If it offers good steaks in pleasant restaurant surroundings it may have a chance of doing well in Sheffield - especially in that area where a few more people may appreciate it and not run a mile at having to spend £20 per head of a meal.

I'm not quite sure whether that's a dig at me for not wanting to go because they have, or appeared to have, an unpriced menu?

Maybe you want to get into a contest over who can afford the most expensive meal?

Or just a way to tell all that you are a sophisticate, who doesn't bat an eyelid at paying £20 per head?

Either way, pretty lame.

Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Yep, they do now, didn't in December when I originally made the comment.

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 15:53 ----------

Those prices seem very reasonable.

Yep, about right, price wise.

Anyway, a major improvement on what was there before.

Edited by Bargepole23

I'm not quite sure whether that's a dig at me for not wanting to go because they have, or appeared to have, an unpriced menu?

Maybe you want to get into a contest over who can afford the most expensive meal?

Or just a way to tell all that you are a sophisticate, who doesn't bat an eyelid at paying £20 per head?

Either way, pretty lame.

Not at all. I don't know you, I don't have any personal grudge against you. And I have no reason to make assumptions about what you can afford, relative to me. But, what your reaction does reveal, in spades, is that the most important thing to you is the cost, not the quality or anything else, just, "how much is it?".

And this, imo, is exactly the kind of mentality that holds Sheffield back. This obsession with the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Try opening your mind to the possibility that sometimes you may pay a bit more than you are used to for something, but, you get so much more back in terms of value and enjoyment. It's all about shifting the way you think about things.

I don't think £20 for a meal is expensive. Not at all. Because my range of reference points is very wide I suppose. When I was working in London, 20 years ago, doing quite a lot of eating out/entertaining, it was almost impossible to get a decent meal there in a restaurant for less than £50 a head back then. It must be more like £100 a head now.

Regardless...

I would really object to paying £20 for a steak though if it was poor quality. In fact, I'd object to paying any amount of money for a steak if it was poor quality - I actually wouldn't pay - I'd send it back.

It's not about the price of something - that's the point. I agree affordability comes into it - but also I think value comes into it more. My mate wouldn't pay £20 for a steak, but he'd think nothing of spending that on beer in one night in the pub. Or having a bet on the footy or the horses.

Each to their own.

---------- Post added 09-06-2017 at 08:16 ----------

Anyhow....

what I really came back on this thread to say was that I tried the Miller & Carter place the other day.

I rarely went in when it was a Toby Carvery, but I remember it vaguely and all I can say is they've done a very nice job of the refurb inside.

It's a very pleasant bar/lounge area as you enter and the restaurant bit is very nicely done out too.

My steak was tasty and cooked just perfectly. My other half had roast chicken which was also nicely done.

It still comes nowhere near the Old Post Office at J38 in terms of the range and quality (and quantity) of steaks - and it can't compete with the sheer indulgence and extravagance of a trip to Gaucho's in Manchester or Leeds.

But for a chain pub I think it's a good addition to the local scene and a nice place to go.

Not at all. I don't know you, I don't have any personal grudge against you. And I have no reason to make assumptions about what you can afford, relative to me. But, what your reaction does reveal, in spades, is that the most important thing to you is the cost, not the quality or anything else, just, "how much is it?".

And this, imo, is exactly the kind of mentality that holds Sheffield back. This obsession with the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Try opening your mind to the possibility that sometimes you may pay a bit more than you are used to for something, but, you get so much more back in terms of value and enjoyment. It's all about shifting the way you think about things.

I don't think £20 for a meal is expensive. Not at all. Because my range of reference points is very wide I suppose. When I was working in London, 20 years ago, doing quite a lot of eating out/entertaining, it was almost impossible to get a decent meal there in a restaurant for less than £50 a head back then. It must be more like £100 a head now.

Regardless...

I would really object to paying £20 for a steak though if it was poor quality. In fact, I'd object to paying any amount of money for a steak if it was poor quality - I actually wouldn't pay - I'd send it back.

It's not about the price of something - that's the point. I agree affordability comes into it - but also I think value comes into it more. My mate wouldn't pay £20 for a steak, but he'd think nothing of spending that on beer in one night in the pub. Or having a bet on the footy or the horses.

Each to their own.

---------- Post added 09-06-2017 at 08:16 ----------

Anyhow....

what I really came back on this thread to say was that I tried the Miller & Carter place the other day.

I rarely went in when it was a Toby Carvery, but I remember it vaguely and all I can say is they've done a very nice job of the refurb inside.

It's a very pleasant bar/lounge area as you enter and the restaurant bit is very nicely done out too.

My steak was tasty and cooked just perfectly. My other half had roast chicken which was also nicely done.

It still comes nowhere near the Old Post Office at J38 in terms of the range and quality (and quantity) of steaks - and it can't compete with the sheer indulgence and extravagance of a trip to Gaucho's in Manchester or Leeds.

But for a chain pub I think it's a good addition to the local scene and a nice place to go.

Hardly. My preference is to support independent restaurants, as I stated in my first post. My objection was purely the lack of prices on the online menu, which has since been rectified. Further to that, I have made no other comment on the pricing other than they seem reasonably pitched for the offering and the area.

You've extrapolated from just those points into defining me as someone who values price over value, and managed to point out that you've worked in London. Impressive....

Edited by Bargepole23

I've visited Miller & Carter a few times now since it opened and enjoyed it every time. Nice location, Estrella on tap and bloody good steaks. What's not to like?

Pricing seems reasonable to me as well.

Hardly. My preference is to support independent restaurants, as I stated in my first post. My objection was purely the lack of prices on the online menu, which has since been rectified. Further to that, I have made no other comment on the pricing other than they seem reasonably pitched for the offering and the area.

You've extrapolated from just those points into defining me as someone who values price over value, and managed to point out that you've worked in London. Impressive....

Not at all. There's absolutely nothing impressive about working in London. It's the most expensive rip off place in the United Kingdom. I'm using that as an example because it's a world away from other places in the UK in terms of what you might expect to pay for a meal.

What I'm saying is, if you think £20 a head is a lot of money, then you are in some kind of time warp or cave. Even in Sheffield that isn't a lot of money -

unless your idea of a restaurant is KFC, Pizza Hut, Nando's or Tay Barns. Does that explain it?

If you aren't a person who puts price above value, then fabulous! You are an exception in this city and we need more like you!

I've visited Miller & Carter a few times now since it opened and enjoyed it every time.

Oh dear! Still looking to score points eh? And now I've upset you because I mentioned I used to work in London. So you think I'm trying to impress by saying that? Eh? :huh: Why would that impress anyone?

I mentioned it only because it is probably the most expensive city in the country to go out for a meal. I lived in the South East of England for a few years and London was indeed a regular place of work for me - I hated it and don't think there's anything impressive about it saying I worked there at all.

However, feel free to interpret it however you wish. And do tell us more about these independent restaurants in Sheffield or nearby that serve good quality steak because I'd love to try them?

Oh dear! Still looking to score points eh? And now I've upset you because I mentioned I used to work in London. So you think I'm trying to impress by saying that? Eh? :huh: Why would that impress anyone?

I mentioned it only because it is probably the most expensive city in the country to go out for a meal. I lived in the South East of England for a few years and London was indeed a regular place of work for me - I hated it and don't think there's anything impressive about it saying I worked there at all.

However, feel free to interpret it however you wish. And do tell us more about these independent restaurants in Sheffield or nearby that serve good quality steak because I'd love to try them?

Oh dear! You've already replied once, about 20 days ago!

I've had a nice steak or two at La Vaca.....no need for you to comment though, I'm sure you know better.

---------- Post added 28-06-2017 at 10:31 ----------

Not at all. There's absolutely nothing impressive about working in London. It's the most expensive rip off place in the United Kingdom. I'm using that as an example because it's a world away from other places in the UK in terms of what you might expect to pay for a meal.

What I'm saying is, if you think £20 a head is a lot of money, then you are in some kind of time warp or cave. Even in Sheffield that isn't a lot of money -

unless your idea of a restaurant is KFC, Pizza Hut, Nando's or Tay Barns. Does that explain it?

If you aren't a person who puts price above value, then fabulous! You are an exception in this city and we need more like you!

I believe it was you, not I, who introduced the £20 benchmark?

Edited by Bargepole23