Wincobank born and bred

Did anyone live in the old back to back houses in wincobank in the 60s.- newman road.

they were originally built when crowleys came ,so that people who came over for jobs would have somewhere to live.

They had only one room downstairs, one bedroom and an attic.

happy days

I lived on Newman Drive, and went to Wincobank school, I remember those houses well as a kid, but I remember them getting knocked down also, I never knew anyone that lived in them though

I too went to Wincobank School and remember the houses on Newman Road, just below the school I think. There were some on Barrow Road too, if memory serves me correctly. Near to what I think was Harrison's greengrocers [run by Walt Harrison]. I think at this time [late sixties, very early seventies] there were also some in nearby Brightside.

My Dad was born and used to live in the back to back houses on Newman Rd up until they was knocked down. He lived in 3 court 1, Newman rd with his brothers and sisters.

My Dad was born and used to live in the back to back houses on Newman Rd up until they was knocked down. He lived in 3 court 1, Newman rd with his brothers and sisters.

Not the Ainsworths by any chance.

Do pm me as i probably knew your Dad. tara

Hi tara

Not specifically relating to back-to-back houses in the Wincobank area, but this is a plan of typical Sheffield back-to-back houses which you might find interesting.

Oh yes cheers Leipzig. Years ago i once saw a picture or bit of film or something to do with council planning and it showed newman Rd back to backs.

Cant for the life of me remember much more about the film But i do wish i could pick up a photo of them. Tried the sheffield Library website but theres only one of Robin Hood Road.

If anyone knows where i could find any pics or old film of Newman Rd Back to Backs I would be very interested.

Some of my family lived there, certainly in the 50's but I'd have to do a bit digging to find out exactly who. Probably name of Kelford. I remember visiting there as a kid and for some reason seem to remeber walking over railway lines, dim and distant memories!

Hi Tara

Try a visit to Sheffield Local Studies Library itself, if I remember correctly the online Picturesheffield.com database only holds 10,000 images, but if you look at the database in the library you have access to about three times more images.

was it fearnlys by any chancedoug was a mate of my brothers

Hi Tara

Try a visit to Sheffield Local Studies Library itself, if I remember correctly the online Picturesheffield.com database only holds 10,000 images, but if you look at the database in the library you have access to about three times more images.

Thanks for this information, I didn't know the library had more than were on picturesheffield. I've been trying to find pictures of the old back to backs on Carver Street in town because some of my relatives used to live there and I'd like to know what it looked like at the the time. I'll take a look on the database in the library.

was it fearnlys by any chancedoug was a mate of my brothers

Hi awoollen, no, my Dad is one of the Luxons but he knows the Fearnlys