Looking for help to claim a U.K. pension

Before leaving for Canada in 1975 I worked for Barclays Bank PLC for a number of years. When I left they told me of my pension entitlement in 2008. However they tell me now they have no record of me. Does the U.K. have any Ombudsman or Government Office that helps people who are being denied pension benefits?

Before leaving for Canada in 1975 I worked for Barclays Bank PLC for a number of years. When I left they told me of my pension entitlement in 2008. However they tell me now they have no record of me. Does the U.K. have any Ombudsman or Government Office that helps people who are being denied pension benefits?

Not too sure on this but you could maybe start with the Inland Revenue - they would have records of your employment history at the time. Just a thought

Maybe the Dept of Social Security could help:

Pensions & Overseas Benefits

Tyneview Park

Whitley Rd

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE98 1BA

Hi Patriotsfan, have you made a claim for your British pension ?. Do you know that you can buy back years at Class 2. The number of years of contributions that are required to qualify for a full pension are going to be reduced from 40 years to 30 years. Buying back years are a better investment than RRSP's. A minimum of three years of contributions from work in Britain would qualify you for a reduced pension, also the right to buy back years.

Good luck with your Barclay's Bank dispute.

See- http://www.BritishPensions.com

I have just applied for mine at the address that nanrobbo put on here, I got it from the Aussie government office, I had to fill in the last 3 workplaces that I worked in the UK,

do you still have your national health number ? that may help, I was told you had to have worked in the UK for at least 10 years to get anything.

I receive a sm U.K pension $300 between wife & I,but would i do again ,most of it if not all is taken off Canadian supplie' that is of course if one were to receive less than $28,000 Canadian pension,I'm still not to sure the U.K pensions counted my 5ys Army or for my wife the child rearing yrs that go toward your 10yrs,if lucky i know a lot of Expats,simply leave the pension in a U.k bank not legal but i wont say any thing if you don't;););) Its always open war with the tax man:hihi::hihi:

is it a company pension ,if so they hould have sent you a pension statement every year , you should be able to get in touch with the DWP in newcastle and they should be able to say whether you were part of a company pension scheme and where you worked . its an old dodge this one it was used to lot for industrial injury claims " we have no records ,proove you worked here "

Have you contacted Barclays Office in Poole, Dorset ? Tell them that you are a '' Deferred Pensioner ''.

Try calling the Dept. of Social Security in Newcastle on Tyne. One of these numbers might work.

011 44 191 218 7777

011 44 191 203 0203

011 44 191 218 3809

They will ask for your Social Security number.

Did you claim back your superannuation back at the time that you left.

If you did this I not sure whether there would be a record.

hazel

I am looking into applying for my UK pension. I have looked at the on line forms but before I start on them I have a couple of questions: I cannot remember my National Insurance number and my last employer in Sheffield went down the tubes in the 1990's (I worked there in two stints for 21 years). I worked from 1962 to 1986. I emigrated to the USA in 1986 and wonder if any expats have had problems or success when dealing with the pension people ? I ask in case I may encounter problems when I fill out the application forms.

'Before leaving for Canada in 1975 I worked for Barclays Bank PLC for a number of years. When I left they told me of my pension entitlement in 2008. However they tell me now they have no record of me. Does the U.K. have any Ombudsman or Government Office that helps people who are being denied pension benefits? '

I have had problems with Barclays. It seems like they are always a problem when they have to pay something out.

They have an internal "ombudsmen" and they force you to go through them before you can go to the Banking Association to complain. If you don't consult them first they will not respond until you do.

You will have to contact them to get the contact info. for their so called "Ombudsman." Keep in mind that he/she is on the Barclays payroll

Edited by glennpickard
quotation marks