Old Wash Houses

Does anyone else have any memories of these places.- in the 60s.

I remember going with my mum to the wincobank one. the poor loves would have to scrub the clothes in giant sinks, and then rinse and twist them about six times, then put them on these burning hot metal rods .

The heat was unbearable.(women had to be tough in those days.)

my mum only went a few times then she got a twin tub.

But my grandma had been going for years and she had about 11 kids.

can you imagine all the washing for that lot.

In the same building was the slipper baths where you would pay so much to have a bath.

Usually people like us who didnt have a bathroom , living in the back to back houses.

Only alternative was the tin bath which if you were lucky and lived in the yard ,could hang it up on a big nail on the wall.

(as previously mentioned on 70s thread.)

Also remember catching a train at wincobank to go to belle vue zoo.

Edited by nikki-red

we used to use the river don my mum said that new fangled washing powder could cause skin cancer.

:hihi::heyhey:

Now thats unconstructive Mr Kirky :confused:

Originally posted by Trekker

Now thats unconstructive Mr Kirky :confused:

soz:| :| :| i'm in a daft mood:|

Tara,

I must be a "posh" ex-Wincobanker [if such a thing can exist], as we always had a bathroom. Our Standon Rd house was built circa late fifties. However, I certainly remember older people from the terraced houses on Fife Street etc using the Wincobank "Wash House".

You refer to catching a train to Belle Vue from Wincobank. I remember going to the zoo there in the early 60's [i'm 43 now], but in the car. No disrespect intended here Tara, but are you certain about the train stopping at Wincobank? I always thought it stopped at Brightside, and then went past Wincobank. Nice to think that it stopped there though. Regards.

Hi timo. Wouldn't that train have stopped at Brightside and then gone onto the back line at Wincobank?

Hi Trekker, not sure really. I just don't remember trains ever stopping at Wincobank. Tara is probably right, and I've no reason to doubt my cyber-pal's memory.

IT was brightside station but not too far up barrow rd.

sort of wincobank come brightside.

Anyway remember bellevue zoo.?

kirky was probably still a twinkle in his dads eye when that was still open.

whats the old wincobank washhouse building used for now.

is it some sort of community centre.

wasnt there some sort of works next to it .

i used to go to bellvue zoo quite often.......i always remember the the two wax works figures as you went in....one was chopping the other ones head off.........i was **** scared of them..i was about 4 or 5

I remember occasionally catching a train at a small platform across the road from the bottom of Limpsfield road or thereabouts. Is that Brightside?

Used to ride it non stop as I remember to Rotherham and back.

Rememer it well, lived in Blackburn fron 1938 . (Born then) don't tell everyone!! until 1987. Can put right a few things Dr Wynnes surgery was 11 newman road,has drive alongside, before him was Dr Firstenburg who was married to Dr Nalaiha's daughterof Dr Nalahia who was there from 1930 till late 60's, am looking for info on family via church records help would be nice, Other docs surgery was opposite wash house look forward to any replies, am a golden oldie, now reside in Derbyshire, but happy to converse with interested parties on subject of area, Blackburn, Hill Street, Wincobank, Blackburn Old school Kimberworth School etc

Mauricejag,

Dr Wynne was the nicest, kindest GP imaginable. Any idea which part of Ireland he came from; I'd say the south, judging by the accent ? My family and paternal grandparents had a great regard for him. He was a wonderful character, and I can see him peering over his half-moon spectacles in my mind's eye, saying, "Dis is what you must do, son. Take da medicine twice a day etc". God bless him.