Does the pubs future lie with community ownership?

With the Closed Shop reopening had a community lead based business and the Gardener's pub at Neepsend on similar lines will this trend become the norm for the pub trade?

The pubcos have been getting rid of their vast estates to pay off their debts giving if the interest is their for the pub to be owned by the community rather than a chain ownership it seems to be becoming more common,will this business model work in the long term after it is still a business and not a hobby personally I think it's an good idea but costs need to be covered running a pub is not a cheap pastime..

It all depends on who runs them. No reason it can't work if the right people get involved.

I think it is one model which can work, especially in affluent areas or for `really` popular pubs. The other increasingly prevalent model seems to be tap-houses; make your own beer and sell it, cutting out the middle man/ pub co. And then I guess your micro-pubs which keep overheads as low as possible.

Been to a well known example (The Black Buoy in Wivenhoe) which is good and very popular with locals.

The worry for me would be if it becomes a platform for office politics and endless committee meetings.

Closed shop appears to only be short term. For a few weeks til new brewery take over. Only one winner Punch 2 fees for the tennacy

The Anglers at Bamford looks to be a successful model , pub , post office, shop, cafe...even cycle repairs and a pump out back

http://www.anglers.rest/

The problem is, we as a nation do not go to pubs as much as we used to. Pubs will continue to close until there is just enough to satisfy the people who want to use them.

The reason community pubs survive is down to diversification within the premises, something the big brewers/pub companies are reluctant to adopt.

In an ideal world brewers would brew, pubs would sell, and all pubs would be free houses.