SHEFFIELD =Worst city ??

I wonder why thats always the first defence - "if you don't like it then leave" well, how about no?

Whats wrong with wanting the city to be better? We live here, our kids go to school here, our friends are here and while Sheffield has plenty of fine, redeeming qualities in others its way, way behind other cities.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade your surroundings and be better, it seems to be a uniquely Sheffield thing to take pride in lagging behind and being decades behind. I was in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago and we were in the city centre on friday night at 7.30 and everything was open and busy and most of it was way more impressive than Sheffield. We were in Leeds a couple of months ago and Saturday night at 8.00 and, again, everything was open and, again, most of it much better than anything Sheffield has to offer. Its like Sheffield thinks it'll turn into a pumpkin at 5.35. One of the biggest cities in the UK and after 6pm just about the only thing to do in the centre is go to bars or restaurants. Its ridiculous. We're way behind everywhere else and we shouldn't be.

I was in Liverpool last week and although I am impressed with how they have done up their centre we were constantly harassed by beggars, I have never been anywhere where there seem to be so many people sleeping rough even more than London so I feel that not everything in Liverpool is great.

It's classic common sense.

If you dislike living somewhere and think that other places are better, why wouldn't you have moved?

I suspect you're very wrong about the upcoming vote, although the tories do seem to be very good at convincing turkeys to vote for xmas.

How strong is your suspicion? Fancy a small wager?

I was in Liverpool last week and although I am impressed with how they have done up their centre we were constantly harassed by beggars, I have never been anywhere where there seem to be so many people sleeping rough even more than London so I feel that not everything in Liverpool is great.

It's the same in Newcastle, a lot more beggars and alcoholics, compared to Sheffield.

It's the same in Newcastle, a lot more beggars and alcoholics, compared to Sheffield.

Leeds and Manchester are similar in their high proportion of rough sleepers. And this was prior to the 2008 financial crash, so I would imagine that the few homeless shelters there are, will be inundated.

Haven't seen a single argument yet that answers the question because it is one that cannot be answered by comparing cats with dogs.

How strong is your suspicion? Fancy a small wager?

So if anywhere except Sheffield votes other than conservative then I win?

Why not just send me the money now?

`East Coast`, skeggy or cleethorpes? :|

More likely Hull, Grimsby or Scunthorpe.

Good luck to him :D

Edited by Daven

Sheffield is a city of two halves, and often I cannot believe that people are discussing the same city. If you are an owner occupier in a leafy part of Sheffield, the City is very good indeed and you can have a great life. If you are in social housing you might be unlucky enough to be in an area with many social problems and where perhaps, people don't feel they have the investment in the place that home owners in the leafy suburbs do.

I expect that's true of most cities.

Guest makapaka
Sheffield is a city of two halves, and often I cannot believe that people are discussing the same city. If you are an owner occupier in a leafy part of Sheffield, the City is very good indeed and you can have a great life. If you are in social housing you might be unlucky enough to be in an area with many social problems and where perhaps, people don't feel they have the investment in the place that home owners in the leafy suburbs do.

Surely that's everywhere not just Sheffield.

Homeowner in leafy suburb feeling better off than someone in social housing in area with social problems.....not hard to draw that conclusion is it.

That goes for all cities though - not just Sheffield.

Oops - duplicated post - sorry makapaka :blush:

Indeed, this is true all cities. However, Sheffield is thought to be one of the most divided, with huge intercity inequality The Hallam ward has the largest number of graduates in the country. Whereas wards in the North of Sheffield are some of the most deprived. Check out the work of Professor Danny Dorling (now of Oxford University, but late of Sheffield University), who has researched these issues in forensic detail.