Roscoe Bank Rivelin

Quite a number of former shops along Langsett Road have been converted into flats, so perhaps this is the plan. Anyway on Tuesday I have an appointment for a checkup at the dentist's on the opposite corner of Ash Street so I'll see if the people there know anything..:)
Hi Hilly'

Do you remember 'Brown the Mutton King" (butchers by the way!!!) on Langsett road near Lingards the Ironmongers?

My regular sat morning Hillsboriogh shop for my grandparents in those days used to be.

Hemmings,Maypole, Piklet shop, Claytons fish shop,Browns the Mutton King and Lingards!

Oh, 'Brown the Mutton King' - that takes me back! Also Lingards - whatever you needed in hardware, they had it - from brass screws to a tin bath. Joseph Hemmines (1893-1974) was a traditional family grocer in the Victorian mould, and his son Gerald carried on the tradition until self-service supermarkets sounded the death knell of this sort of shop. Gerald closed the Holme Lane shop but continued with the Wadsley Lane branch for a while. John Moule made the best pikelets and oatcakes, using a hotplate in the shop window while his wife Jessie served customers. The shop closed when John died in 1966. Clayton's survived until quite recently under different ownership. When the post office moved to Hillsborough Road in 1961 Clayton's benefited from the passing trade; the following year they had the first "Rotiss-o-Mat" chicken roaster in Sheffield.

Edited by hillsbro

I picked up a physics textbook from a charity shop in 2014 and it was in such good condition I was surprised to see it was printed in 1942. On the first page it says 'Philip M. Booth - Emanuel College Cambridge' and there was also a newspaper clipping from 1977 in there too. I picked it up again today and decided to google the name and university and found out that he actually graduated in 1942 and passed away in 2014 after suffering from dementia for 2 years. This was the only search result with 'Philip Moulson Booth' so it seemed right to put it here in this 10 year old thread.

http:// imgur dot com/a/6jXoq this is the front page

I picked up a physics textbook from a charity shop in 2014 and it was in such good condition I was surprised to see it was printed in 1942. On the first page it says 'Philip M. Booth - Emanuel College Cambridge' and there was also a newspaper clipping from 1977 in there too. I picked it up again today and decided to google the name and university and found out that he actually graduated in 1942 and passed away in 2014 after suffering from dementia for 2 years. This was the only search result with 'Philip Moulson Booth' so it seemed right to put it here in this 10 year old thread.

http:// imgur dot com/a/6jXoq this is the front page

Phillip Moulson Booth was my lovely Dads cousin.

What a shame the link you provided doesn't work :(

Hi Daven,

It still works for me when I close the spaces and replace 'dot' with an actual "."

I dont have enough posts yet to be allowed to post the actual link. My grandparents generation seem to all have had great handwriting.

Keep chatting to me and you will have enough posts to do that !

I would love to see the link.

I knew that Phillip was an educated man but didn't know that he went to Cambridge Uni :o

Phillip Moulson Booth was my lovely Dads cousin.

What a shame the link you provided doesn't work :(

Trying to help - I also searched and came across a these mentions:

--------------------------------------------

Emmanuel College Magazine 2015:

PHILIP MOULSON BOOTH (1942) died on 16 November 2014. His friend David

Harrison has written:

Philip was 91 years old when he died and for the last two years had lived in a residential nursing home, suffering from dementia.This horrible disease progressed very rapidly especially in the final year until at the end he neither knew nor understood very little of what was happening. Philip was a bachelor and lived alone, but in the years prior to his illness he was very active as a member of the British Mycological Society and attended many forays both in this country and abroad. He also enjoyed skiing and sub-aqua diving in his

younger years. He was a member of the Institute of Linguists and spoke both Italian and German very well.

-----------------------------------------------------

A patent from 1966:

An Improvement in or relating to Apparatus for Dispensing Liquid.

Abstract

1,187,026. Delivering measured quantities of liquid. J. F. EARDLEY Ltd. 28 June, 1967 [28 July, 1966; 24 Oct., 1966], Nos. 33893/66 and, 47542/66. Heading B8N. An apparatus for dispensing measured quantities of liquid comprises a dispensing unit 18 controlled by valve means 38, 40 which are remotely controlled by a valve 54, and detent means 78 for preventing operation of the valve means until a full measure of liquid has been dispensed from the unit. The detent means is in the form of a plunger 78 adapted to co-operate with a groove 86 in an actuator 68, associated with the remote control valve 54, the plunger being moved into engagement with the groove by the flow of liquid in a discharge pipe 30; a similar detent device is also provided in the delivery pipe 26 to the dispensing unit 18. As shown, a second dispensing unit 24 is provided so that as one fills, the other empties. In operation, upon depressing a push-button 56 on the valve 54, compressed air is fed via pipes 58, 60 to move a valve 64 to a position in which air can flow via a pipe 46, valve 40, pipe 48 to actuate the valve 38 so that air acting on one side of a diaphragm in the unit 24 is exhausted, thereby allowing liquid to flow into the unit on the other side of the diaphragm via the pipe 26 and one-way valve 29. When the push-button is released, air flows via pipes 58, 42, valve 38 and pipe 34 into a chamber 20 of the unit 18 so as to dispense a measured quantity of liquid as the other unit is filling; simultaneously, the position of the valve 40 is, via a pipe 35, changed over in readiness for the apparatus to operate in the reverse manner. In modifications, instead of the valve 54 being operated by compressed air, it is solenoid actuated and the detent plungers incorporate magnets adapted to actuate reed switches (Figs. 2, 4, 6, not shown). The plungers may, when liquid flow ceases, return by gravity in order to open the switches or be returned by a spring; in the latter case the plungers may be positioned horizontally. Reference has been directed by the Comptroller to Specification 1,011,863.

That is wonderful information about my Dads cousin Phillip.

I met him a few times and remember him being a very smiley chap with rosey cheeks :|

Hi Daven,

It still works for me when I close the spaces and replace 'dot' with an actual "."

I dont have enough posts yet to be allowed to post the actual link. My grandparents generation seem to all have had great handwriting.

Sad to say that my lovely Dad didn't follow suit !

My Mum always used to say that his hand writing looked like 'spider crawl' !

---------- Post added 28-05-2017 at 19:04 ----------

A live link to the inscribed book mentioned above:

http://imgur.com/a/6jXoq

A fascinating thread!

Hugh

Thank you for that.