Dale's Fish & Chips, Hunters Bar

My relatives owned this chippy at some point, I know very little about this chip shop and didn't even know where it was until recently.

My relatives owned this chippy at some point, I know very little about this chip shop and didn't even know where it was until recently.

When did your relatives own it ? Do you know their names - how where you related ? How's that for questioning :hihi:

---------- Post added 19-05-2017 at 23:58 ----------

This brings back memories for me (good times) Billy was a nice bloke and his wife, many a time sat in back room having chips and cheese n onion fritter for lunch with their daughter often wondered how they all are.:)

I'm the daughter ?

---------- Post added 20-05-2017 at 00:00 ----------

ah billy dales best chippy in my book,he was a loverly man,i spent hours at the garage next door and we allways had our dinners from there,ps,god bless terry stone r,i,p, yes billy dale was a well liked man,from childhood to adulthood till he sold it we went there,regards

It's lovely to hear such nice things said about my dad x

When did your relatives own it ? Do you know their names - how where you related ? How's that for questioning :hihi:

I dont know when they owned it, but I can give you names. Ive tried to reply to your PM but either your 'in box' is full, or you've disabled receiving messages. If you can clear some space Ill send you the information i have.

I am refreshing my memories on this forum. I remember Dales and it is interesting that they ran a slate. I worked for a short time on Sharrowvale road. Before the cash started to come in, in a desperate venture I queued like every one else and at the counter asked for half a bag of chips. After a quizzical stare the nice lady handed it over then I asked her if I could pay tomorrow. Bless her cotton socks she did let me get away with it. I did pay up next day of course. 2 things about that. Sheffield people were pretty kind and that lady might have been the kindest. Good Samaritan. Would it happen today??

---------- Post added 19-05-2017 at 23:58 ----------

I'm the daughter ?

---------- Post added 20-05-2017 at 00:00 ----------

It's lovely to hear such nice things said about my dad x

didn't you run the wet fish stall next door

to roneys

No the Wet fish shop was owned and run by the Scott Family :)

---------- Post added 20-02-2018 at 17:29 ----------

I am refreshing my memories on this forum. I remember Dales and it is interesting that they ran a slate. I worked for a short time on Sharrowvale road. Before the cash started to come in, in a desperate venture I queued like every one else and at the counter asked for half a bag of chips. After a quizzical stare the nice lady handed it over then I asked her if I could pay tomorrow. Bless her cotton socks she did let me get away with it. I did pay up next day of course. 2 things about that. Sheffield people were pretty kind and that lady might have been the kindest. Good Samaritan. Would it happen today??

That’s lovely to hear ? What year roughly would that be ? It sounds to me like it was my mum :)

---------- Post added 20-02-2018 at 17:31 ----------

That’s lovely to hear ? What year roughly would that be ? It sounds to me like it was my mum :)

No the Wet fish shop was owned and run by the Scott Family :)

Im sure my brother had the flat above your chippy circa / 1972

Edited by suzyoo
got wrong dates

I reckon 1974 or thereabouts. I worked in the garage directly under Tony Gelder's salesroom. It is one of those little stories I like to tell, a bit like the Good Samaritan. I hope I've got it right.

I reckon 1974 or thereabouts. I worked in the garage directly under Tony Gelder's salesroom. It is one of those little stories I like to tell, a bit like the Good Samaritan. I hope I've got it right.

would it have been rydal garage back in 74?

Rydal was down the track next to yours at that time. I knew the lads well, but the track next to Gelder ran to behind AB Gelder where there was a workshop for the AB Gelder sport cars, another workshop on a first floor accessed only by a vehicle lift and another workshop run by Ray ??? directly under the showroom Ray also ran the fuel station and sold a few cars from that forecourt.

A proper little hive of industry. In my current research I haven't seen any photos from exactly that time.

Rydal was down the track next to yours at that time. I knew the lads well, but the track next to Gelder ran to behind AB Gelder where there was a workshop for the AB Gelder sport cars, another workshop on a first floor accessed only by a vehicle lift and another workshop run by Ray ??? directly under the showroom Ray also ran the fuel station and sold a few cars from that forecourt.

A proper little hive of industry. In my current research I haven't seen any photos from exactly that time.

ok I know where you mean now

I also knew ray roberts

I also knew Tony

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 12:03 ----------

a couple more names from the garages are

Trevor Gillot and Mick Bennett

yes I remember dales chip sop very well

lovely chips and I had my first cheese cake there