Cleaning a print cartridge

When I copy anything on my printer the copy now has big black streaks across it. Looks like I need to clean the cartridge head but have never done this. What is the best way to do this ?

Usually the printer will have a self clean function that you can access and that flushes the heads through. I take it this is an inkjet and not a laser printer?

Usually the printer will have a self clean function that you can access and that flushes the heads through. I take it this is an inkjet and not a laser printer?

Not sure what it is. Just nipping upstairs to look.

It's a hp Deskjet 2540 All-in- One printer. Does that help ? I'm afraid I'm not mechanically minded !

You need to clean the contacts, the manual for your printer explains how: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/601209/Hp-Deskjet-2540.html?page=77#manual

As far as I am aware you can't ask the printer to clean itself like you can with say an Epson. Unless someone knows otherwise?

Thank you !

You need to clean the contacts, the manual for your printer explains how: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/601209/Hp-Deskjet-2540.html?page=77#manual

As far as I am aware you can't ask the printer to clean itself like you can with say an Epson. Unless someone knows otherwise?

HP used to include a utilities section on the software distributed with the printers.."Toolbox" or something like that it was called...there used to be a cleaning programme in that..