Thornton's ..the sad demise..

Do you remember just how nice Thornton's toffee and chocolate used to be before they got bought out and went all "corporate"?

As kids, a quarter of their special toffee, treacle toffee or fruit and nut toffee, was a big treat. They did lovely hollow chocolate Easter eggs, with whatever name you wanted piped on them. When we got a bit older, a box of Thornton's "Continentals" was a regular gift on birthdays, christmases etc. Expensive, but delicious.

Thornton's chocolates are just crap now. Sweet, greasy chocolate...claggy fillings that all taste the same..and of nowt in particular. I really miss the old Thornton's!

Times change.

Try Cocao on Ecclesall Road who make far better chocolates than Thornton ever made

Or Anise in Broomhill.

Hi

When did Thornton's get 'bought out'? That is news to me, but then I have been abroad a lot.

Thornton's has been owned by Ferrero Rocher since 2015. Their chocolate and toffee doesn't have it's own distinctive flavour any more -it's just bland, homogeonised corporate goo!

Totally agree.

It was a real treat when we went to town as kids and were able to choose a small selection.My favourited were rum and chocolate truffles,alpinis and diplomats.

They compared very well with the best Belgian chocolates at that time.

I also remember the delicatessen in the basement of Walsh's where you could buy individual chocolate biscuits coated with he thickest layer of delicious dark chocolate.

Edited by RJRB

Do you remember just how nice Thornton's toffee and chocolate used to be before they got bought out and went all "corporate"?

As kids, a quarter of their special toffee, treacle toffee or fruit and nut toffee, was a big treat. They did lovely hollow chocolate Easter eggs, with whatever name you wanted piped on them. When we got a bit older, a box of Thornton's "Continentals" was a regular gift on birthdays, christmases etc. Expensive, but delicious.

Thornton's chocolates are just crap now. Sweet, greasy chocolate...claggy fillings that all taste the same..and of nowt in particular. I really miss the old Thornton's!

The recent Thornton's chocolates I've had are much improved compared to what they have been selling in recent years.

I was impressed the last couple of times I had them.

Edited by Grietje

The quality started to go down soon after they left the Archer Road site imo.

Nowadays there is little or no difference between the all the mass produced chocs.

The old Belper Thornton's factory is set to be demolished soon used to be nice products but not anymore.

Thornton's has been owned by Ferrero Rocher since 2015. Their chocolate and toffee doesn't have it's own distinctive flavour any more -it's just bland, homogeonised corporate goo!

The taste went down hill much earlier than 2015.

I agree with you Chez2. I think the taste and quality went downhill many years ago - when Thornton's started opening retail outlets in railway stations all over the country and selling mass produced pre-packed products in supermarkets. They even do cakes now and sell them in supermarkets!

The quality was much better when they just sold out of proper Thornton's high street shops in and around South Yorkshire and Derbyshire. I understand why successful businesses want to expand and grow - but mass produced stuff is never as nice as the original "artisan" stuff.

I agree with you Chez2. I think the taste and quality went downhill many years ago - when Thornton's started opening retail outlets in railway stations all over the country and selling mass produced pre-packed products in supermarkets. They even do cakes now and sell them in supermarkets!

The quality was much better when they just sold out of proper Thornton's high street shops in and around South Yorkshire and Derbyshire. I understand why successful businesses want to expand and grow - but mass produced stuff is never as nice as the original "artisan" stuff.

Hotel Chocolat seem to be able to make good quality chocolates. I'm not sure of the volume compared to Thorntons but I'm sure they aren't made by hand. Thorntons should have stuck to a high quality chocolate range with perhaps a slightly cheaper range. There are a lot of 'cheap' chocolates out there so why try to compete in such a crowded market place?