Has there ever been a prison in Sheffield?

Wasn't there some sort of youth detention centre on East Bank rd?

The reason Sheffield did not have a prison was because all crown court cases were tried at York. The debtors prison would be under the control of the magistrates court. Sheffield did not have city status until fairly recently.

charlie peace esacped from a train and when he got caught he was held in the old police cells which were used as the charge office on water lane somewhere on sheffield pictures is a illustration of a court that was held inside the cells because he was considered to dangerous to make the the journey to court. charlie peace was never held in west bar and never escaped from west bar.

he in fact escaped from a train bringing him from london to sheffield in the middle of the night

the old charge office for you information is the building with the mural on of the miner with a helmet opposite the Co-op in town

Yes this is true :) .. the only connection the fire museum hasto charlie peace is they exhibit the original gun he used and some other bits and bobs.

Wasn't there some sort of youth detention centre on East Bank rd?

This was a childrens home.

charlie peace esacped from a train and when he got caught he was held in the old police cells which were used as the charge office on water lane somewhere on sheffield pictures is a illustration of a court that was held inside the cells because he was considered to dangerous to make the the journey to court. charlie peace was never held in west bar and never escaped from west bar.

he in fact escaped from a train bringing him from london to sheffield in the middle of the night

the old charge office for you information is the building with the mural on of the miner with a helmet opposite the Co-op in town

I bow to your greater knowledge. I've just spent half an hour reading up on a couple of sites.

His escape did'nt last very long. He knocked himself out jumping from the moving train and was found bleeding and unconscious at the track side some way back.

My son is 19 now but when he was an ankle biter we visited West Bar old fire station to satisfy his passion for fire engines. I thought I remembered seeing a plaque in a tiny, dank cell that proclaimed, Charlie peace slept here, or some such.

Wakefield was the nearest prison mentioned of any he "enjoyed."

Does anyone know what period the West Bar building served as a lock up?

It opened in 1900 as a fire and police station. The fire brigade moved to Rockingham st in 1929, however the police moved up the road in 1965. It has been used as a museum since the early 1980s.

I bow to your greater knowledge. I've just spent half an hour reading up on a couple of sites.

His escape did'nt last very long. He knocked himself out jumping from the moving train and was found bleeding and unconscious at the track side some way back.

My son is 19 now but when he was an ankle biter we visited West Bar old fire station to satisfy his passion for fire engines. I thought I remembered seeing a plaque in a tiny, dank cell that proclaimed, Charlie peace slept here, or some such.

Wakefield was the nearest prison mentioned of any he "enjoyed."

Does anyone know what period the West Bar building served as a lock up?

I will now give you another fact for you to dwell on about Charlie Peace he was the last man to hung in armley In Leeds

Remember my mother who was Polish telling me that when many years ago she became a British Citizen she had to go to Sheffield prison to swear allegience to the crown. She told me she had to go through the big wooden gates opposite the castle market.

I will now give you another fact for you to dwell on about Charlie Peace he was the last man to hung in armley In Leeds

Many people were hanged at Armley prison after Charles Peace. The last one was on 29/6/1961 his name was Zsiga Pankotia and the hangman was Harry Allen.

Remember my mother who was Polish telling me that when many years ago she became a British Citizen she had to go to Sheffield prison to swear allegience to the crown. She told me she had to go through the big wooden gates opposite the castle market.

I believe you mean he court house building I beleive in the past this was the town hal before being converted to a court so it may well be the case however it was never a prison . only eight cells are underneth this building and are primarly only holding cells for the prisoners being brought to court. entry was a small door down the lane where the hen and chickens are situated. not actually a prison

believe or not no hot water was available on tap right up to the day they closed

Many people were hanged at Armley prison after Charles Peace. The last one was on 29/6/1961 his name was Zsiga Pankotia and the hangman was Harry Allen.

no Charlie peace was the last man hung in Armley,you are in fact right in the statement. The last execution did take place in ARMLEY PRISON did occur in 1961

Also hanged at Armley in 1925 by Tom Pierrepoint was a Sheffield gangster called William Fowler who was involved in the Sheffield gang wars.