What should councils provide?

My local council in Leeds want to close 2 golf coarses, because they are losing money. Should councils provide subsidised sport for local people. The council recently rebuilt some local sports centres, but the new ones lacked some facilities, because they didnt make enough money from them.

The new sport centres included very large gyms, but no squash courts (we are world champions in squash).

The new swimming pool was less able to accomodate water polo, no diving board/pool.

Do Sheffield council do the same, dumb down sports centres, so they do not encourage different sports, but just compete with private gyms. Why do councils need to provide massive gyms, when the private sector does that quite well.

My local council in Leeds want to close 2 golf coarses, because they are losing money. Should councils provide subsidised sport for local people. The council recently rebuilt some local sports centres, but the new ones lacked some facilities, because they didnt make enough money from them.

The new sport centres included very large gyms, but no squash courts (we are world champions in squash).

The new swimming pool was less able to accomodate water polo, no diving board/pool.

Do Sheffield council do the same, dumb down sports centres, so they do not encourage different sports, but just compete with private gyms. Why do councils need to provide massive gyms, when the private sector does that quite well.

I would guess the gym memberships subsidise the lesser used facilities to some extent.

Can't private golf courses provide what council courses provide?

Can't private golf courses provide what council courses provide?

That would be the same argument for every council service. From ice rinks and pop festivals to home help.

In the center of Leeds their is a ice rink in the winter; but there is an all year round one now being built next door to Leeds United football ground. There is also a private ice rink in Bradford.

Its not that long ago that the councils in this area owned the airport, what else should the council own?

The stumped up the massive ammount of money needed for an Arena. I dont see any clear formula. Do the council do anything, so long as they do it at a profit, or do they do these things for the poor.

It's a good question. I thought about it when the whole Don Valley Stadium thing was going on. When there is respite care, social care and children's services to provide is it really the job of the council to own and run a sports stadium? Especially when they did such a poor job of it.

Guest sibon

A council should provide the opportunities for a city to thrive.

No need for it to actually do much else these days.

My local council in Leeds want to close 2 golf coarses

That's harsh

That's harsh

Instead of whinging here he should show some grit and do something about it if it bothers him so much

My local council in Leeds want to close 2 golf coarses, because they are losing moneyl.

The council isn't PUTTING enough money in? that'll DRIVE a WEDGE between the council and the sporting folk.

The council isn't PUTTING enough money in? that'll DRIVE a WEDGE between the council and the sporting folk.

I think they have a fairway to go before theyll convince the council to pitch in more money. It cost a hole lot of wedge to run golf course properly

That's par for the course.

---------- Post added 13-09-2014 at 20:52 ----------

A council should provide the opportunities for a city to thrive.

No need for it to actually do much else these days.

I would go with this and provide good value for money.

And they should keep the streets cleaned and the grass cut, sadly they don't.

I think they have a fairway to go before theyll convince the council to pitch in more money. It cost a hole lot of wedge to run golf course properly

I think the closure of these courses is a fore-gone conclusion.