Phones 4 u gone bust

And there is no suggestion that P4U collapsed due to not been able to pay rent.

To be honest, considering there is a Vodafone, EE etc shop on every high street offering practically the same deals as phones4u and car phone warehouse, plus an obvious online presence I'm amazed they existed this long.

i was thinking that, why do EE etc need a middle man to make extra profit when they already have high street shops themselves??

It's a sad story, with a profitable company forced into administration by their suppliers. I read somewhere that Phones 4 U were making £100 million a year.

Dont you think there is more to it? Why would a supplier suddenly stop? They havnt stop cpw?

They haven't sold Three phones since December 2013

http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c%7B63aeb870-5689-11e3-48c1-f20203001e3d%7D

You might just have bought an unlocked phone and puts ur three sim in it?

Oops, yes, you (and others) are right. I'd forgotten. It was an unlocked phone and I took in my own sim

the network cartels have done them in. who next? carphone warehouse no doubt!

the network cartels have done them in. who next? carphone warehouse no doubt!

Then after the 3rd party retailers have gone, the 3rd party carriers will be next ... Virgin and Tesco.

the network providers are snapping up P4U shops.

typical business model -drive down your 'partners' til they go bust, then snap up their assets cheap.

i think a public enquiry would be in order here.

Guest sibon

typical business model -drive down your 'partners' til they go bust, then snap up their assets cheap.

Why do you need an enquiry to find out that cutting out the middle man is cheaper for end consumers?

Who on Earth was daft enough to buy from Phones4U?

Who on Earth was daft enough to buy from Phones4U?

...people who have no interest in what network providers offer?

...people who have no interest in what network providers offer?

How could you NOT take an interest.

Its the network providers who provide the signal and service. When you buy your phone from a store such as Phone4U or Carphone Warehouse its still signed up to a NETWORK. The rates you pay, the allowances you get, the package you are set is all allocated based on the NETWORK you choose not th third party retailer.

Every if you buy and pay as you go or sim free phone. You still need a NETWORK to get it active and working.

---------- Post added 23-09-2014 at 00:30 ----------

Who said they "drove down the partners"

the demise of Phones 4U was happening long before said operators pulled out. Nobody was shopping there. Once again everyone is trying to point the finger on someone else.

Oooh, its the network's fault. Oooh is the Capital Venturists fault. Oooh the high street rent bill is too high. Oooh is the government's fault causing the decline in high street footfall.

God sake. Its was a crap shop with crap service. We customers choose to shop elsewhere. It simply could not complete with the might of Carphone Warehouse, online shopping and the direct retail from the networks.

Lets not forget that following the merger of Orange and Tmobile to become EE, it had even LESS networks to offer in its range.

Public enquiry my backside. Its a failed business. Wont be the first. Wont be the last.

Edited by ECCOnoob

How could you NOT take an interest.

Its the network providers who provide the signal and service. When you buy your phone from a store such as Phone4U or Carphone Warehouse its still signed up to a NETWORK. The rates you pay, the allowances you get, the package you are set is all allocated based on the NETWORK you choose not th third party retailer.

Every if you buy and pay as you go or sim free phone. You still need a NETWORK to get it active and working.

We were talking about phone offers, I've never had a phone offer from a network provider that beats buying the phone outright and then getting a separate rolling contract from a provider of my choice.

The last phone I bought was about £180, I pay £16 a month for unlimited data (truly unlimited, inc. tethering), unlimited texts and over 2000 minutes per month. I can cancel this any time I want, not tied into something for 24 months.

No network provider could match that.

EXAMPLE-

If I decided to stay with what I have for 24 months, I will have paid £384 for the network service and £180 for the phone, £564 in total.

At the time, I tried several networks, the offers they had for the same phone and service were around £26 a month, for 24 months, total £624.

I asked the network provider salesmen what would be the point in paying more for the same thing (ie, take their offer). Their answer was that I get a free phone (although it costs more really). They don't seem to understand the math.

Edited by RootsBooster