Renting is ruining people's lives

IF the HB is paid direct to the landlord there is less chance it'll get diverted to smokes and drinks..... IT keeps the landlord happy, and whilst the tenant may be less happy it does mean they still keep a roof over their head.

IF the HB is paid direct to the landlord there is less chance it'll get diverted to smokes and drinks..... IT keeps the landlord happy, and whilst the tenant may be less happy it does mean they still keep a roof over their head.

A bit unfair and biased don't you think?

When you're short of money and there isn't enough to go round, it's a choice between food, electric or rent.

Smokes and drinks don't come into it.

paying your rent should be a priority over every thing, if you dont pay it, you are on the street, no matter who your landlord is

When you're short of money and there isn't enough to go round, it's a choice between food, electric or rent.

Smokes and drinks don't come into it.

No I don't.

Smokes and drinks are addictive, and for alcoholics or just the terminally stressed they will come before food electric and rent. Why do you think the provision to pay the money direct to the landlord exists....

I cannot see any justification for a tenant to be unhappy. HB is for rent only, and nothing else.

Not unfair at all. Smokes and drinks don't come into it.

Unfair? Are you for real?:roll:

As stated above, HB is for rent. The local authority do not pay HB so that a tenant can buy food, electric or anything else other than pay the rent. It is not a helping hand for tenants that cannot manage their finances. In a council property the tenant would have to manage as they don`t even see the money. In your book, it is ok for a person to spend money that does not belong to them.

paying your rent should be a priority over every thing, if you dont pay it, you are on the street, no matter who your landlord is

Exactly

Edited by mart

The landlord is the one who puts his money into the property to provide a home for someone to live in.The landlord is the one who spends thousands renovating the property to make it a good standard to live in. The landlord is the one who has to pay the mortgage. The landlord is the one who has the maintenance and repairs to the property to pay for . You think every penny of the rent is profit for the landlord. ? Think again.

The house rented out for £1300 a month is obviously a HMO , which rake in vastly higher rents than a house rented a one unit. Nowt wrong with maximising a properties earning potential. some people are all too quick to knock us landlords, but remember who invests the money to provide a home in the first place.

Thank you so much for that lesson. As we have only been letting a house on the same street for the last twenty years, finished and maintained to a far higher standard than the one across the road, for a quarter of the rent, we clearly need to learn from you about life as a landlord. Or maybe not.

I cannot see any justification for a tenant to be unhappy. HB is for rent only, and nothing else.

Unfair? Are you for real?:roll:

As stated above, HB is for rent. The local authority do not pay HB so that a tenant can buy food, electric or anything else other than pay the rent. It is not a helping hand for tenants that cannot manage their finances. In a council property the tenant would have to manage as they don`t even see the money. In your book, it is ok for a person to spend money that does not belong to them.

Yes I am for real thank you very much, and I live in the real world, which you apparantly do not.

Of course HB is for rent and should take top priority, but we are not talking ideal world here, we are talking about a world of poverty and need. Have you ever been hungry, or watched your kids be hungry?

Managing finances is straightforward when you have enough to go round, but a lot of these people do not, and when there simply isn't enough something has to give. Managing money in these circumstances sometimes means having to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I particularly object to this idea that they are ALL feckless individuals who spend what money they have on fags and drink. Many are in genuine need through no fault of their own.

You sound like some Victorian workhouse grandee. Time to get down off your high horse and find a little empathy.

Yes I am for real thank you very much, and I live in the real world, which you apparantly do not.

Of course HB is for rent and should take top priority, but we are not talking ideal world here, we are talking about a world of poverty and need. Have you ever been hungry, or watched your kids be hungry?

Managing finances is straightforward when you have enough to go round, but a lot of these people do not, and when there simply isn't enough something has to give. Managing money in these circumstances sometimes means having to rob Peter to pay Paul.

I particularly object to this idea that they are ALL feckless individuals who spend what money they have on fags and drink. Many are in genuine need through no fault of their own.

You sound like some Victorian workhouse grandee. Time to get down off your high horse and find a little empathy.

I am not having a go Ann but, i used to work shifts which meant i could go to the pub in the afternoon, the biggest majority of people in there was people on benefits, of which all of them was in arrears with there rent, which meant that they had to have there rent taken out of there benefits before they got it, so then they spent other money they got in benefit on beer and fags, and i personally know of at least two relatively young people who was out every dinner and night cadging and selling every thing they could so they could get a drink and smoke,But what i am getting to is the said two both died through a heart attack through drink and malnutrition,

I wonder Ann if people are on benefits and get an allowance for rent, food, energy, cloths etc in short enough money to live on "millions do it" why do a minority say they cant, if taking a loan out they will be spending money which is meant for other things to pay it back.

You can object till the cows come home, it will not make one bit of difference to me. You need to stop living in the fantasy world and open your eyes. (Kidley is another one that has just put you right-below). Empathy means seeing how the other person sees it, and in this case this means the tenant that blows their free handouts of cash on beer & fags instead of putting food on the table for their starving kids. Because, as they see it, they simply don`t care. It is the way they were dragged up, and their kids will be dragged up just the same. Maybe the reason why this bothers you so much is because you are from the same level of society. Like they say, the truth hurts. Tough

I am not having a go Ann but, i used to work shifts which meant i could go to the pub in the afternoon, the biggest majority of people in there was people on benefits, of which all of them was in arrears with there rent, which meant that they had to have there rent taken out of there benefits before they got it, so then they spent other money they got in benefit on beer and fags, and i personally know of at least two relatively young people who was out every dinner and night cadging and selling every thing they could so they could get a drink and smoke,But what i am getting to is the said two both died through a heart attack through drink and malnutrition,

I wonder Ann if people are on benefits and get an allowance for rent, food, energy, cloths etc in short enough money to live on "millions do it" why do a minority say they cant, if taking a loan out they will be spending money which is meant for other things to pay it back.

You`re wasting your time mate. You may as well go bang your head on the brick wall instead of trying to educate this one.:roll:

I particularly object to this idea that they are ALL feckless individuals who spend what money they have on fags and drink.

You can object as much as you like Anna. You will note however that no-one has said that ALL of them are "feckless individuals".

There is a problem however amongst that demographic that means that they can sometimes blow the rent on things that it shouldnt be used for. Far better that it actually goes on rent and they keep a roof over.... we've been here before. It's Anna, she won't listen...

Yeah sure, all landlords are evil robber barons - is that what you want to hear Anna because you sure won;t listen to any other viewpoint will you....

To the thread title: RENTING IS RUINING PEOPLE'S LIVES

For many I know it isn't. They choose to rent. Private not council. They choose the nice area they want. Don't have to worry about repairs. Can move when they want. Still have children and a life as good as others with mortgages. Looking into retirement, depends what you want, what you save, what pension you have, your outlook on life, what kind of place you want to live in in old age etc....

So no, I don't think renting ruins peoples lives. Simple answer.

Edited by Chazndave

First of all thankyou for at least being civil when engaging in a debate.

I have never denied that the system is exploited by some, usually hardened benefit claimants who know their way round the system. What I object to is the assumption that the majority if not all, claimants are lazy, feckless, degenerates who live high on the hog on benefits.....

Of course a lot of the people you meet in pubs are on benefits, - you don't meet the benefit claimants who are staying in at home. I would argue that there are more staying out of pubs than going in them. It's a bit like judging the number of drunks in the country by going to an Alcoholics annonymous meeting.

As for why, if some can manage their money, can't they all? I have tried to point out many times that not all claimants get the same amount of money. Sanctions, bedroom tax, longstanding committments and debt (eg. for crisis loans, which are stopped at source,) mean that people's personal circumstances can be very different, making it harder for some to manage than others. I cannot understand why people always assume that benefits are enough to cover the basics, when in many cases they no longer do.

I really do find it very unfair and disrespectful to people who are down on their luck and trying their best, to be tarred, in such a thoughtless, simplistic fashion, all with same brush.

Edited by Anna B