35K for a car, what do you buy?

Just a bit of fun, I like staying up to date with the car-market and whilst procrastinating (Thesis correction is so bloody boring) just set myself the task of finding a car for 35K, new or used, that I would be over the moon with.

Obviously I don't have 35K for a car at the moment (thesis being responsible for that!) but we can but dream.

I know there are quite a number of petrol-heads on here and I am curious to find what people would choose - I think it says a lot about character as well maybe?

Remember, this is for fun! (But could be informative)

I haven't quite made my mind up but I limit myself on being able to afford the running costs. I am sorely tempted by a second hand Porsche Panamera, but I suspect maintenance will make me cry, not to mention the insurance and fuel costs.

For me the choice is between two:

A new Volvo XC60 D4 SE Geartronic, not a lot of spare cash for gadgets, but then I just want heated front-seats and blue metallic paint so it just about fits in the budget. The engine is awesome (Drove it a few times, big smiles) and although I am not keen on SUVs in general, this car is just good looking.

A nearly-new (3300 miles 2014 plate) second-hand BMW 520D Estate at just under 33000 quid. Great price for a car with high-spec that would have costed well over 40K new. Has to be an estate for me, I need to be able to throw the dog in the back and stuff the rear-seats compartment with whatever is needed for a week in Scotland.

So, what would you choose?

Hmmmm I'm a car lover.

I like BMW X6 I think this is going to be my next car.

5000k more and you can get a Bentley albeit and older one. But I do love the Continentals.

Something a little different, BMW i3 would suit me fine, electric plus an optional petrol engine to charge it up if you can't get to a charging point in time.

And as long as we're dreaming, I'll take the handsome wooden dash as well.

Hmmmm I'm a car lover.

I like BMW X6 I think this is going to be my next car.

5000k more and you can get a Bentley albeit and older one. But I do love the Continentals.

By heck, older Bentleys cost £50035000? :)

I don't like the look of the X6, in fact I think it is hideous, an old Bentley I would love, but the running costs would probably kill me.

Saw an i3 in the flesh recently, looked a lot better in real life than on the images in my opinion, certainly something different!

I don't like the look of the X6, in fact I think it is hideous, an old Bentley I would love, but the running costs would probably kill me.

Saw an i3 in the flesh recently, looked a lot better in real life than on the images in my opinion, certainly something different!

Agree with you about the i3. But just noticed your requirements about dogs and trips to Scotland. It wouldn't be good for either of those. But quite lively and economical around town.

Just seen an i3 for the first time... they don't look bad at all do they.

I must admit I don't know much about cars so when I get my next one it will be under the guidance of someone who does.

I like this one... Black Bentley. But again I was surprised there were cheap... I must be missing something. I like the red interior but I've seen them in white interior... and I love them :love:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406024685712/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/radius/1500/page/1/make/bentley/usedcars/postcode/ng26tz/price-to/50000/quicksearch/true/price-from/40000?logcode=p

Depends what the car is to be used for. If it's just a run around I'd go for a Fiat 500. If it's a touring job, maybe a Ford Mondeo

Depends what the car is to be used for. If it's just a run around I'd go for a Fiat 500. If it's a touring job, maybe a Ford Mondeo

I tell you what Mondeo and Vauxhalls have really up their game.

I tell you what Mondeo and Vauxhalls have really up their game.

One of the most comfortable journeys I ever had was in a vectra, just before they replaced it. Couldn't fault it.

One of our friends recently had a rented 2014 Vauxhall Insignia, we were both rather impressed, seems Opel/Vauxhall are indeed on the up, their reputation still follows them here though, on the continent Opel's are held in higher esteem than Vauxhall here, which is odd considering they've been the same company for what... 40 years now?