Blacklisted workers

For a while now I've been following the story of workers that had been illegally blacklisted by 44 of UKs biggest construction firms in the UK for the last 30 years.

At first the companies denied they ever held such a blacklist. Evidence has emerged that the police and state security services supplied information to all the big construction firms.

Such evidence included membership of trade unions; personal information about themselves, families and relationships.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/03/blacklisted-building-workers-court-hopes

If this gross human rights abuse isn't bad enough, at a peaceful demonstration by trade unions, a 64 year old electrician and campaigner Mr George Tapp was dragged on to a car bonnet for over 100 metres before being flung to the ground by a car driver:

"One recalled it being like “slow motion” describing the driver as abusive and pushing his car against Mr Tapp before punching the car into full throttle propelling the 64 year old and two colleagues on to the bonnet.

Further anger has been caused by statements made by Chief Supt Russ Jackson claiming that CCTV footage showed the protesters climbing on to

the car bonnet.

Four witnesses have come forward to tell me that this did not take place and it was the force of the car itself that pushed Mr Tapp on to the bonnet before the car sped away.

The Chief Supt. also suggested the car drove away “slowly” which considering Mr Tapp’s injuries seems highly dubious as does the claim that a 64 year old climbed on a car bonnet in the first place."

http://industrialreporter.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/the-campaign-against-blacklisting-will-not-go-away/

As the report in the link states the lack of sympathy on behalf of police for Mr Tapp is shocking though perhaps unsurprising.

AFIK this on going 30 year saga has not been covered by the BBC or ITV; which in itself is surprising given the human interest angle, and that it sheds light on area unspoken often about.

Ask yourself why some people are blacklisted, if they are.

Nothing wrong with construction firms giving each other a heads up about potential commie trouble makers.

I can imagine if your name was on one of those lists you'll be in for a nice little windfall now.

Ask yourself why some people are blacklisted, if they are.

Nothing wrong with construction firms giving each other a heads up about potential commie trouble makers.

These construction firms were acting outside the law in terms of blacklisting the workers and the men were raising Health and Safety concerns about the sites they were working on - which is why they were blacklisted.

But then I don't suppose you'd care about that.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 16:34 ----------

I can imagine if your name was on one of those lists you'll be in for a nice little windfall now.

Pity they have to live in the real world, instead of your imagination then isn't it :roll:

You don't think with that evidence a decent lawyer could take those firms to the cleaners?

You don't think with that evidence a decent lawyer could take those firms to the cleaners?

Absolutely - and I hope they are successful in their struggle not only for compensation but also for a full apology and that the firms involved aren't awarded any public contracts.

Not only trade unions I have for years always thought that in some office somewhere there is a book or a file on everyone in the country with all the information on you a bit like big brother not sure who has access to.

I read about this earlier in the year - alot of the black listing was based on rumour and inuendo rather than hard facts, some of the reports I read we're quite childish. That said, if it was based on fact, if someone was known to flout h&s laws (rather than the other way round in this case) amongst other things - is it a bad thing? I can't be the only person to work with someone who is a liability.

I read about this earlier in the year - alot of the black listing was based on rumour and inuendo rather than hard facts, some of the reports I read we're quite childish. That said, if it was based on fact, if someone was known to flout h&s laws (rather than the other way round in this case) amongst other things - is it a bad thing? I can't be the only person to work with someone who is a liability.

I don't know which case of blacklisting you claim to have read about, but in the cases I'm talking about many thousands of people had records kept about their lives on files by the 'The Consulting Association'.

This organisation was funded by over 40 of the biggest names in the construction industry such as McAlpines, Kier as well as recruitment agencies.

The offices of the organisation were raided in 2009, including files of thousands of workers who were denied work because of the Consulting Association's illegal and nefarious activities.

As a consequence several parliamentary inquiries followed.

The evidence is there in black and white, as well as many testamonies of the victims.

I put it to you that yours is the post based on smear and childish innuendo. Yes it is a bad thing if someone working on a construction site has an accident, people can be (and have been) severely injured as a consequnce. What would be the consquence of breaking health ans safety laws at your place of work?

Can you provide evidence of the reports which you say were childish and based rumour and innuendo?

I don't know which case of blacklisting you claim to have read about, but in the cases I'm talking about many thousands of people had records kept about their lives on files by the 'The Consulting Association'.

This organisation was funded by over 40 of the biggest names in the construction industry such as McAlpines, Kier as well as recruitment agencies.

The offices of the organisation were raided in 2009, including files of thousands of workers who were denied work because of the Consulting Association's illegal and nefarious activities.

As a consequence several parliamentary inquiries followed.

The evidence is there in black and white, as well as many testamonies of the victims.

I put it to you that yours is the post based on smear and childish innuendo. Yes it is a bad thing if someone working on a construction site has an accident, people can be (and have been) severely injured as a consequnce. What would be the consquence of breaking health ans safety laws at your place of work?

Can you provide evidence of the reports which you say were childish and based rumour and innuendo?

Calm down dear, I'm going off memory. The "reports" I'm talking are the ones IN the black list. Stuff like "Mr X wife is a bit of nightmare" things like that. Childish ? I think so. It's probably the same article as I definately recall macalpine being mentioned. I don't remember it talking about black listing people about complaining about h&s deficancies, but do remember a bit about unions. It's just that I remember the more mundane stuff, the sort of stuff that might get talked about around a photocopier and people being blacklisted for that, that's all. I am not disputing the report in the guardian or it's findings - you got the wrong end of the stick.

The point as was trying (and clearly failing) to make is that we've all must have worked with lazy and/or unsafe people and/or unsafe companies. Is it wrong to blacklist them ? I'm not advocating black listing whistleblowers (just in case you get the wrong end of that stick as well)

Calm down dear, I'm going off memory. The "reports" I'm talking are the ones IN the black list. Stuff like "Mr X wife is a bit of nightmare" things like that. Childish ? I think so. It's probably the same article as I definately recall macalpine being mentioned. I don't remember it talking about black listing people about complaining about h&s deficancies, but do remember a bit about unions. It's just that I remember the more mundane stuff, the sort of stuff that might get talked about around a photocopier and people being blacklisted for that, that's all. I am not disputing the report in the guardian or it's findings - you got the wrong end of the stick.

The point as was trying (and clearly failing) to make is that we've all must have worked with lazy and/or unsafe people and/or unsafe companies. Is it wrong to blacklist them ? I'm not advocating black listing whistleblowers (just in case you get the wrong end of that stick as well)

Sorry tfh in my defensiveness I got the wrong end of the stick!

Many of the reports about the workers were trivial, some untrue. But mud sticks.

With regards to blacklisting lazy/unsafe people, who keeps the information. It's a legal and moral minefield....

Sorry tfh in my defensiveness I got the wrong end of the stick!

Many of the reports about the workers were trivial, some untrue. But mud sticks.

With regards to blacklisting lazy/unsafe people, who keeps the information. It's a legal and moral minefield....

I don't doubt that last bit at all!!!

This isn't just a private sector thing though, although I doubt there is anything official written down, whistleblowers in the Nhs rarely work there again whilst those who carry out the bad practice often do.