HELP! How do I get chilli sauce out of clothes??

Hi

Does anyone know how to get chilli sauce (the type you get on a mucky kebab!!) out of a white cotton t-shirt? My husband had a little accident whilst eating one last night! He machine washed the shirt last night and rubbed it with Vanish and re-washed it again this morning but all it's done is lighten it a bit!

I'm gutted as it's one of his best t-shirts!

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks x

rub lemon juice on it or soak it in napisan always a good idea

Thanks - will give this a try. Think I have some lemon juice somewhere. Can't really do it much harm.

As a rule of thumb, BEFORE washing the shirt i use any kind of liquid soap (hand, washing up, etc) and dampen the spot a bit. Rub the soap into the wet spot on the stain and let set. This helps 'set' the stain. 9 times out of ten most of my stains come out in the wash.

Oh how I wish you had spilled mustard instead, it would have provided much more fun and revealed all the geeks reading...

Oxyclean works on most organic stains (curry, blackcurrant juice etc) so there's no reason why it wouldn't work on chilli sauce in combination with some sort of detergent to cut through the greasiness of the stain.

I'd recommend pretreating the stain by wetting the fabric, rubbing in a teaspoon of granules into the stain, working it in for a couple of minutes then putting it to soak for half an hour in a solution of Oxyclean. You can then add a scoop of granules into the washer with your clothes if the stain hasn't been completely removed.

I've fetched blackcurrant juice out of a white tablecloth (damn that summer pudding!) with just a bit of Oxyclean and Fairy washing powder before, so it's got to be worth a try.

I haven't tried the Vanish one that works in the same way, but that could be worth a go if you can't get Oxyclean too.

Biotex will do the job, works every time on whites! Just follow the instructions on the box.

Katy, me and your OH must have been seperated at birth, I now have to eat curry/kebab type food bare chested as I'm a bugger for dropping food!!!

You need Ace liquid bleach (its in a green bottle) You pour it onto the offending stain and then throw it into the washer......my SO gets chilli sauce everywhere, and this hasn't failed me yet.

Hmm, 40 years of feminism and I'm giving out laundry tips...:)