Mass unemployment.

Many of the workers in China believe all factory jobs will be 100% automated in 10 years. Robots are taking over in many other spheres also.

What happens there, will happen everywhere eventually.

What will people do for work, especially those who are not too bright? (average IQ in Britain is 100.)

The difference between this and the industrial revolution, is that back then, lots of new jobs were created. That's not the case this time around.

How will we cope with mass unemployment? And shouldn't the Government be putting something in place now?

Many of the workers in China believe all factory jobs will be 100% automated in 10 years. Robots are taking over in many other spheres also.

What will people do for work, especially those who are not too bright? (average IQ in Britain is 100.)

The difference between this and the industrial revolution, is that back then, lots of new jobs were created. That's not the case this time around.

How will we cope with mass unemployment? And shouldn't the Government be putting something in place now?

You'd expect the government to be more concerned than anyone else, a simple unbiased logic computer could do a much better job at running the country.

Someone has to make these robots or process them, I'll be sending my requirements - as soon as we catch up;)

Birth control, but other countries would need to do there bit and somehow I cannot see that happening.

More leisure time and more time to grow your own food, unless they find out that its cheaper to pay people peanuts than build and maintain machines.

The biggest threat to manufacturing will be 3D printing, if it takes off as predicted it will decimate manufacturing worldwide.

First - there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of unfilled vacancies. There is plenty of work, in fact, this society (let's call it 21st centurists) has a far higher employment ratio than the Victorian society. Not only do women work far more in comparison, we all work a lot longer as well. Fortunately this is all possible whilst not working 80-100 hour weeks for most, unlike the Victorian time.

Second - 'Robots' have 'threatened' production jobs for decades. Yet there are now more people employed either by or directly in the supply line of car manufacturers compared to the 50s/60s. Thsi doesn't just apply to car manufacturers, it applies to all sorts of industry, older industries are being replaced with new industries. We don't need many ferriers anymore, let alone stable-boys, but we employ huge amounts of car mechanics and car-wash operatives.

First - there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of unfilled vacancies. There is plenty of work, in fact, this society (let's call it 21st centurists) has a far higher employment ratio than the Victorian society. Not only do women work far more in comparison, we all work a lot longer as well. Fortunately this is all possible whilst not working 80-100 hour weeks for most, unlike the Victorian time.

Second - 'Robots' have 'threatened' production jobs for decades. Yet there are now more people employed either by or directly in the supply line of car manufacturers compared to the 50s/60s. Thsi doesn't just apply to car manufacturers, it applies to all sorts of industry, older industries are being replaced with new industries. We don't need many ferriers anymore, let alone stable-boys, but we employ huge amounts of car mechanics and car-wash operatives.

What alternative Universe do you live in?

Don't tell me you believe all that government claptrap. :roll:

The biggest threat to manufacturing will be 3D printing, if it takes off as predicted it will decimate manufacturing worldwide.

The only predictions I've heard about have been unrealistic hype from newspapers, blogs and such. While 3D printing will revolutionise the way that complex structures are manufactured, I've yet to see any evidence that it will revolutionise mass production of non-complex products.

Thank God I am almost 66 so the issue of some kind of unemployment apocalypse if it ever happens, will occur after my demise.

Angel1.

What alternative Universe do you live in?

Don't tell me you believe all that government claptrap. :roll:

Oh please.

I don't say this often, but tzijlstra is absolutely right.

This is not a case of right/left ideology, it's a fact.

Right now we have unemployment at a few percent and a very heavily automated manufacturing sector. At least compared to 100 years ago.

When people are no longer needed to make things by hand, everything becomes cheaper. This is good because people can afford more things.

But everybody still wants to be even richer, so businesses start employing people to do other things. It's called productivity.

You've come along at least 100 years late to this completely disproven hypothesis.

Read the history of the industrial revolution.

If you still don't believe us, I suggest you track down the machines in question and throw wooden shoes into them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot_(shoe)

Many of the workers in China believe all factory jobs will be 100% automated in 10 years.

You're only talking about factory jobs, There are plenty of other sectors- retail, services, entertainment, construction, tourism, transport, etc.