Premium Bonds - ERNIE - Random Numbers

Can someone explain how this works? I understand the random number generator and that these random numbers are matched to any bond numbers, but most of my bond numbers also have letters...for example 178XB******, bonds all also have differing number/letter lengths.

I have done my research and read all the info, but can't seem to find the answer to this quandary.

As an aside, when you buy premium bonds, they go in the draw 1 calendar month after purchase, yet it appears that they do the draw a few days before the 1st of the Month (before you tell me I'm wrong, look at some of ERNIES responses on their Facebook page).

All these years I have expected Agent Million to knock on the door on the first of the month have been in vain, cos he will already have been to the winner!

I have had mine since 1974 and never won a carrot ,I s[pent £75 and it was them or a Cortina ,should have bought the Cortina.

Over the years, we have won far more than we would have got as interest from a savings account. Nowt life-changing though, usually 25 or 50 pounds.

An old work colleague of mine and his wife each had the maximum then allowed - £30k? - and it was rare that one of them didn't win something, literally every month.

Usually small amounts, but better than the interest they would get in any account or ISA.

My Dad bought me some when they came out in the 50s never won a penny, got more in the 70s still never won a penny.

I bought some about 11 years and I thought I had sold them all when my hubby got made redundant but I must have sold only some because the other month I won £25.

Katey, when the term random numbers is referred to in the context of ERNIE, it includes the letters as well. For example, if you said to me, “What is the serial number on the back of your computer”, it would be reasonable and acceptable for me to respond with DRP1457981F. You would not then say it is wrong because it includes letters.

The “draw” is not quite like you perceive it to be. The bonds don`t physically go in to the draw (so cannot be left out of the draw). It is ok if the draw made a few days before the end of the month, because your bonds will be eligible for a prize if they have being held for the time required. The prizes are allocated to the bonds that are eligible.Don`t confuse the time of the draw with the allocation of prizes. The draw could be made at any time of the month, it makes no difference.

Edited by Janus

If you bought bonds on the 29th February they would go in the April draw. However if you bought them on the 1st March they would not be in the draw until May as they have to be in a full calendar month before they are entered into the draw.

you dont want to buy bonds in large numbers , say £1000 at a time

because all the bond numbers will start with the same prefix

in your case 178XB but if bought in say £200 batches they will start with different pre fixes

The numbers are randomly generated, and every bond has an equal chance of winning.

Bought one batch in 1972 and another batch in 1984. Still waiting for a win.