Real Apprenticeships?

I am all for apprenticeships, and training, especially in areas where there are skill shortages, but more and more I hear of apprenticeships that really are nothing of the kind and unnecessary.

For example a friend of mine went for a bar job in a pub. He's had plenty of experience, is personable and friendly and knew they had a vacancy there. He was surprised to hear they wanted an apprentice.

He decided to ask a few questions. How long would the apprentice ship last? What sort of skills would be taught? What was the criteria for passing? Was it accredited? Would there be a job at the end of it? They didn't have much idea for any of them and obviously wanted him to leave.

It came as no surprise to find out the pay was £3.70 an hour.

So a barman on the cheap, when there are plenty of 'qualified' people who could do the job. Who pays this? Is it the good old taxpayer again? I wouldn't have thought this country needed any more unemployed barmen.

My son has just got a apprentaship he was 17 and earning £20 per day but now at 18 has had a increase to £220 per week.

However he brings home 190 the rest is taken for tax NI

How much do you pay in tax and NI now days please anyone Xx

My son has just got a apprentaship he was 17 and earning £20 per day but now at 18 has had a increase to £220 per week.

£190? What kind of money is that?

NMW should be that per hour!

£190? What kind of money is that?

NMW should be that per hour!

What do you mean?

He brings home on hundred and ninety pounds

I agree there are a lot of companies out there that would use an apprentice as cheap labour, but there are some good, genuine ones out there.

My son started an apprenticeship in orthopaedic engineering at 16 and was coming out with £180 per week. Hes now 18 brings home around £280 before overtime. He also started his HNC in September that his firm are funding.

Its a shame that apprenticeships in general often have quite a bad name, but its hardly surprising.

£220 a week is about 11.5k a year.

10,600 of that will be tax free and everything else 20% tax plus around £10 - £12 national insurance.

£190 ish net pay sounds about right.

I agree there are a lot of companies out there that would use an apprentice as cheap labour, but there are some good, genuine ones out there.

My son started an apprenticeship in orthopaedic engineering at 16 and was coming out with £180 per week. Hes now 18 brings home around £280 before overtime. He also started his HNC in September that his firm are funding.

Its a shame that apprenticeships in general often have quite a bad name, but its hardly surprising.

Sounds the ideal set up for both sides. :)

I've read horror stories from employees (donkey work and no training) and employers (high quality training and and then said newly qualified apprentice goes before the ink has dried on their hnc)

But isn't anyone checking and weeding out the bad ones?

Do we need apprentice shelf stackers etc?

Does the government pay the employers to take on apprentices? In that case it's tax payers money and the government surely has a duty to see that they are proper apprenticeships in shortage areas, with proper prospects of jobs?

But isn't anyone checking and weeding out the bad ones?

Do we need apprentice shelf stackers etc?

Does the government pay the employers to take on apprentices? In that case it's tax payers money and the government surely has a duty to see that they are proper apprenticeships in shortage areas, with proper prospects of jobs?

Ah, but it's private companies putting kids in placements for a bounty. I've had a few determined that they can put someone in my firm and it is impossible at the moment.

This is 2011/12 but gives you idea what value apprenticeships have.

Morrisons Become Largest Provider of Apprenticeships in the UK

One in 10 apprentices in England works at Morrisons

Because you need so much training to scan barcodes and face stock on shelves.

There are some real ones. But having apprentice that you'll want to offer permanent position is another thing.

He should be bringing home more like £209.. he should be paying about a tenner in tax and NI on £220..assuming he has the box standard tax code..work it out on here..

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

This is 2011/12 but gives you idea what value apprenticeships have.

Morrisons Become Largest Provider of Apprenticeships in the UK

One in 10 apprentices in England works at Morrisons

Because you need so much training to scan barcodes and face stock on shelves.

There are some real ones. But having apprentice that you'll want to offer permanent position is another thing.

Wrong attitude. Its not just about training on scanning and shelf stacking.

Its about building experience, dealing with rules and discipline interaction with customers and staff, dealing with problems that arise and also getting some young person into a routine of getting out of bed in a morning to go to work.

Doesn't matter necessarily if they end up with a job at the end of it. It all builds up their work experience and CV. I can guarantee that if I have two candidates in front of me, one who has done nothing since school and one who has been a trainee or Saturday worker for a year or two, its a no brainer which one I will pick.