This concept may shake up the big 4, as well as Aldi et al.

Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the founder of easyjet, has finally launched his assault on the competitive budget grocery sector with the trial of his first easyFoodstore shop.

The easyFoodstore is selling all of its grocery items, including noodle pots, sardines and tinned spaghetti hoops, for just 25p for the whole of February.

A key aspect to this working well is a strong contact with a brand produced by Dutch non-profit buying alliance AMS which works on behalf of ten other European retailers, including Kesko in Finland and Esselunga in Italy.

I think super markets per se have had their day of high food prices. There is only so much cost cutting that the big four can do to remain competitive. I feel we will see a lot of changes over the next few years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/12134820/Sir-Stelios-takes-on-the-supermarkets-with-food-for-25p.html

I can't see it making any difference to those already in this sector . Sainsbury's plan to buy Argos and share costs makes much more common sense .

Don't panic. The 25p price is just an opening promotion.

The stores are going to be like poundshops.

Looking at the link the normal price appears to be 99p so it's just another poundland clone with a much more limited range. I'll shop at Aldi and Lidl as they have a fresh food range which is fine for day to day cooking, a tinned / dry goods only store is not a viable alternative.

I'm skeptical until I've read the list of ingredients, very cheap stuff tends to be high in salt, sugar and fat.

B and m bargains? Poundland?

how this different?

---------- Post added 03-02-2016 at 18:55 ----------

easyfoodstore is another contributor to obesity.

chicken pizza for 25p ?

What we need is shops to stop throwing away food which will bring prices down for everyone

It's all the euro shopper stuff from Booker cash and carry. I sell a few lines in my shop. It is not the best quality at all.

Its an absolute Gimmick. Well and truly missed the boat on this one.

Euro Shopper / Brooker goods are already sold dirt cheap in places such as Job Lot and some of the more dodgy looking pound stores.

Fact is that even in the so called rip off "Big 4" you can buy own branded basics for the same price or even less.

Those "Big 4" along with the huge international conglomorates such as Aldi and Lidl have huge buying power and influence over suppliers that even billionaire Stelios could only dream of.

Waste of time IMO. Should stick to what he knows best and focus on established names. Could very easily be on a knife edge for the EASY brand to change from a well respected name for low cost to being a continuous chain of poorly thought out failed projects.

Virgin group has found that out over the years.

saw a program about him he ows £millons to the banks.

Indeed. He's had to shut up shop already as all the 25p 'bargains' have been hoovered up by black friday/rioty sorts.

saw a program about him he ows £millons to the banks.

Does he owe the banks millions or does his businesses?